cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband speed a disgrace

maxjam
Dabbler

Fibre broadband speed a disgrace

I was connected to the PN fibre service on Wednesday of this week...during the BT installers visit it was shown that my line could sustain the 40Mb fibre package I had signed for.. however.. for the third day/night in a row my speeds have dropped below the 6Mb-8Mb standard broadband package I was on previous to the fibre install....line statistics are listed below.....supposedly a 10 day settlng period....these speeds are unacceptable by the product standards....I have been a PN customer for the past 2 years....phone line rental package is up for renewal next month.....waiting times on the phone are and have been approaching 1 hour for the past 3 days........Plusnet.. I am bitterly disappointed with my new fibre connection and I will be requesting my MAC code at the earliest possible occasion.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.57 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.21Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fibre broadband speed a disgrace

@maxjam
What speed have Plusnet set your line to ?  You can check it at this URL https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed which will require you to log into your Plusnet Portal account.
It is not unusual for this to be left at the ADSL speed or even to go back to the ADSL speed.
If it does not show the fast FTTC speeds then you will need to contact Plusnet and get them to correct the "Plusnet Line Speed". Once at the correct speed, you will need to log onto your router and disconnect and reconnect back to get the speed increase.
And finally, there is no such thing on FTTC as a ten day settling period, that is an ADSL thing only. FTTC is at full speed once it has been set up and then checks all the time for line stability which will usually only decrease speed in favour of a reliable connection.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Starmans
Grafter

Does indeed sound as if you have a stuck profile - suggest talking to PN directly via support chat on the contact us page.
maxjam
Dabbler

Hello to both members of  posts  2 & 3....while my install was being done the engineer said the speed was "hammering in" and thought it was great for simple copper pair to be producing such a high speed... I am approx. 300metres from the cabinet and I am on a 40Mb download speed.....line profile is steady as in my OP.    Download speeds last night at 9pm for example were 1.5Mb......
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you checked your Current Line Speed as suggested earlier - see my sig for a link
maxjam
Dabbler

Yes Oldjim.....it is as mentioned below.....which doesn;t read like a "stuck profile"...oops....also just had a reply from my post on the "contact us" page.....
Broadband Troubleshooter error
There's been a problem with our automated troubleshooting process.
Don't worry, our Faults Team will investigate it and be in touch. We'll aim to contact you within 24 hours.
[INTERNAL]Failure of Circuit Check[/unquote]
Estimated line speed:
   40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-08-31 14:54:55
Current line speed:
   40 Mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Does the speed test result change at different time of the day
This test is probably more informative
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
maxjam
Dabbler

I always use BT Wholesale test but here is a result from OldjIms link.....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looks really bad - is the test wired or wireless
maxjam
Dabbler

Hey Oldjim....yes everything is hard-wired...I never use 'wireless' for internet use.... I am a radio ham operator and also given your user name {old}...patience tank runs almost empty....here is a test result at 12:35pm today using the BT Wholesale testing....considerable difference from an hour previously......
Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.07 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.83Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps[/unquote]
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: maxjam
I am a radio ham operator
Whoop, whoop! Alert! Alert!
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm#HAM
http://www.arrl.org/dsl-interference
Just sayin' Wink
maxjam
Dabbler

Yes well your wrong....I said I was a ham operator I didn't say I was an active one..and after 25 years of doing it I don't need educating on how or what causes interference...thank you very much..
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes well your wrong....I said I was a ham operagor I didn't say I was active..thank you very much..
I am not wrong. Ham radio transmissions can interefere with DSL.
What do you mean by 'inactive' - you only listen? You've given it up? Like most people I don't know anything about the particulars of the hobby. All I know is that ham radio transmissions can interfere with DSL signals so I felt it appropriate to post that warning as soon as you mentioned it.
I see no need for you to get all shirty about it. If you don't transmit then fine. If you have a lot of experience then fine. I don't know you from Adam so there's no way I could know either of those things. Just thank me for the advice and say that it doesn't apply in your case.
Sheesh. Some people.
maxjam
Dabbler

Quote from: Andrue
Yes well your wrong....I said I was a ham operagor I didn't say I was active..thank you very much..
I am not wrong. Ham radio transmissions can interefere with DSL.
Like most people I don't know anything about the particulars of the hobby. All I know is that ham radio transmissions can interfere with DSL signals
Just thank me for the advice and say that it doesn't apply in your case.
Sheesh. Some people.

Ok then we can agree on the above.....but being 'responsible' it's one of the first things you look at if it's appropriate...I wasn't being shirty I just didn't appreciate the "Whoop,Whoop ! Alert ! Alert ! "...you were being condescending and patronising.....either way thank you for the helpful comments....regards