cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband constant speed variation

sasack
Hooked

Fibre broadband constant speed variation

I've had fibre for over a year now and while the speed is more often than not fast enough that I don't notice any problems for normal use, when we're watching on demand tv, especially BBC iplayer, there's often a lot of buffering in the evenings.

If I run the BT wholesale speed checker repeatedly when it buffers the speed shown varies between 10Mbps and 25Mbps but fluctuates wildly on each run. I'm supposed to be getting an estimated 40Mbps but it's never been faster than around 25Mbps.

What can I do to improve the speed, or at least help to stabilise it to around 25Mbps?

3 REPLIES 3
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Fibre broadband constant speed variation

Hi @sasack

Thanks for getting in touch.

I agree that your fibre is running slower than it should be. I've tested your line and you're currently in sync at around 27mb/s which is lower than the minimum for your line.

Could you please connect your router to the test socket as shown here and then if the speeds are still low on a wired speed test, raise a fault for me here?

If you raise a fault, just drop me a line here so that I can ensure it's picked up for you.

Best wishes

Dave

sasack
Hooked

Thanks for your reply. I ran several tests this morning with the router plugged into the Openreach test socket with a new microfilter, and my laptop wired directly to the router with a new ethernet cable.

The speeds varied up and down between ~24Mbps and ~65Mbps test after test.

I replaced the BT face plate and plugged in the router on its own and it tested at 26Mbps, 43Mbps, 25Mbps, and 50Mbps one after the other. I then plugged in the phone in the BT faceplate and the tests ran the same.

The broadband never drops out completely, it's just that the speed varies a lot. It's always faster than the 'normal' broadband we've had before, however, and if it wasn't for the buffering when we watch online tv in the evenings I probably wouldn't even notice.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi sasack, 

Cheers for getting back to us. Iv'e raised a fault report with our supplier and added an update to your ticket. Here's a direct link: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186659335 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team