cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband constant dropouts

s1mps
Grafter

Fibre broadband constant dropouts

I'm a new customer and I'm experiencing constant dropouts of about 5 minutes at a time and it's driving me nuts.

I have a Netgear D7000v2
BT fitted master socket

This router worked without issue the last time I was with PlusNet.

Is there any way to monitor the connection?
When it's working, which is 90% of the time it works well. Speeds are good for here at ~65Mbps

Thank you
47 REPLIES 47
s1mps
Grafter

Re: Fibre broadband constant dropouts

Had another dropout just now. That's quite a few this evening. They seem to occur late at night, after 11pm.
s1mps
Grafter

And again. Luckily I also have 5G as a backup. So annoying.
s1mps
Grafter

And again
Bellis85

Hi, we've been having the same issue the last few days. Must be a wider Plusnet issue. Noticed there are a few posts on the ADSL broadband forum with members having the same issue
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @s1mps, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent.
I can confirm when looking over your connection from this side and shown by the graph below we can see the large number of drops occurring which certainly hint something is out of place somewhere.

Although we're seeing the drops above, I can confirm our testing this side isn't picking up anything out of place when looking into this further and not even signs of errors impacting the connection. Your line is testing as fault free when checking that side of things also.

Test Outcome
Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 68.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 706.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From01:15to01:45
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-05-31T12:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 66.8 Mbps 69.7 Mbps 68.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.3 Mbps 9.3 Mbps 8.5 Mbps
Up Time 519.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 892.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-06-13T10:57:29Z 2021-06-13T11:12:29Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I'd recommend then, firstly running through a few internal checks your side that will rule a number of factors out that could be behind this and should issues look to persist then I'd recommend raising a fault to we can look to progress this issue further and more than likely to an engineer visit.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Should the drops look to persist then I'd recommend raising a fault at faults.plus.net

Feel free to give us a nudge once you have a fault raised and we'll happily look to pick this up and progressed this issue further for you. Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bellis85, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent also.
I can see when looking over your connection graph below the drop outs which look to have occurred and when testing I can confirm we aren't picking up any external issues or hints as to what's causing the drops you've seen.

Firstly, do the drop outs you've been seeing match up to the connection graph above or have you been seeing more issues than this shows? Do you power the router down on occasions and if so does this coincide with the longer drops seen above?

I look forwards to hearing from you further.

Bellis85

Hi,
The graphs shows the majority of the drop outs, there were a couple of other last night one at around 8pm.
We haven't tried powering down the router, just normally wait for it to come back on or if it's taken a long while like yesterday afternoon we press the reset button on the router. Router is connected directly into the master socket and this was replaced last year when we had all the other connection issues.
s1mps
Grafter

Thank you @BD

As you can see in your graph, the faults only occur after 10pm into the small hours. This has been happening daily since I joined PlusNet a month ago. I left it to allow for settling in.

I am using the connection between 7am and 2am daily. Weekdays after 5pm. Before 10pm the connection is solid. It's solid all day at weekends until 10pm. If there were a general fault that wouldn't be the case.

As far as I'm aware nothing different is happening at my house between 10pm and 3am+. All I can think is it's the power into the house from my supplier is ramping down during those hours.

Thank you for looking at it. You're graph is very informative.

I did phone in this morning and my case is being forward to engineers to investigate.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bellis85, thanks for getting back to me and confirming the drops generally match up with the issues you've been seeing your side. I'd advise then moving forwards to run through the internal troubleshooting your side to see if the drops look to persist there after.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Although the amount of drops don't currently look to be within our suppliers 3 in 24 hours or 6 in 72 hours fault parameters, the lengthier drops and time it's taking for the connection to return seeming after you restart the router hints there could be something out of place somewhere. Should issue persists after running through the above internal checks then I'd recommend raising a fault so we can look into investigating this issue further for you.

faults.plus.net

Feel free to give us a nudge if you raise a fault as we'll be happy to get this picked up and progressed further for you. Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @s1mps, thanks for getting back to me. I agree it's a strange one as usually if there's an intermittent connection issue present then it wouldn't preference one time of day over the other which hints there may be other factors coming into effect behind this.

I'm glad to hear a fault has been raised on your account however when looking I can't see a fault has been progressed to our suppliers side yet. I'd advise then, to still go through the above troubleshoot steps if you haven't already as this will rule a number of internal factors that could be behind the issue and some of which I feel our faults team will suggest you go through when next updating the fault on your account.

By all means should the issues persist in the test socket set-up then please let us know and we'll happily look to progress your fault forwards to an engineer visit. I look forwards to hearing from you further.

s1mps
Grafter

Thanks @db

I agree, there are no faults on the line. There are regular dropouts late every evening.

None of the self tests seem to accommodate that scenario.

I have a BT socket with an integral router and phone socket. The router and the phone are plugged into it directly. No ADSL splitters.

I don't use the phone so it's usually unplugged. It's clear when I use it.

There's very little on in my house overnight. I'll try turning them off and see if that makes a difference.
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You have interference on the line (according to the above report) and Plusnet on here should start paying attention to that potentially causing problems, too, not whether the computer will say 'book an engineer' only.

So, next time your connection drops, pay attention to any electrical appliances coming on/off like the boiler, heater, power supply for your laptop etc.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @s1mps 

I've made a change to a setting on your line to try to make it more stable as it looks like the line running at a 3dB SNRM target is more of a detriment given how long your line is. 

It can take 7 to 14 days for changes to fully take effect on your connection, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on it as well as carrying out the previous steps @BD and @Edinburgh_wg have suggested.

Something else I'd suggest is to plug the router we've sent in and see if you get the same problem.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
s1mps
Grafter

@Gandalf thanks for that

I didn't want to swap routers without your say so. The length of the line has been problematic historically.

None of the troubleshooting steps seem to be aimed at such a specific problem of timed dropouts. I may be wrong but I've checked through them all a few times. The line is perfect between 5am and 10pm.

I don't know the stats from last night.. I did unplug the TV, Google Home and my laptop charger. There was a droput at 11ish but I went to bed so didn't see any more.