Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband connection loss every few hours

stevenparham
Hooked

Fibre broadband connection loss every few hours

Hi,
Since I joined Plusnet fibre about 1 year ago I've found that my connection is regularly lost. Not a disaster but annoying as probably happens every 3/4 hours on average. We get red light on box and have to wait few mins to reconnect again.

I have the latest firmware as far as I can see. Currently I've been connected 1 hour 22 mins today.

I wonder if anyone has some advice or if mods can run line test maybe?

Thanks for any thoughts or troubleshooting tips!
Steve
11 REPLIES 11
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Fibre broadband connection loss every few hours

Welcome to the Forum @stevenparham

I take it that it is your connection to the world that is dying rather than your PC's connection to the Hub? Either way it shouldn't be dropping that frequently, but what one does about it depends on whether this is a wifi problem or a problem with your connection (which is what I think that you are describing).

If this is about your connection to the world, I would run though the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but costs you nothing, and makes Plusnet aware of your issue. They have to look at it, and the report gets the issue into the queue for action.

There have been problems with the BT speed test (I'm not sure whether they are resolved) but try it with Internet Explorer. If there are still problems, report speeds from an alternative speed test such as at speedtest.net.

Please let us know how you get on.

stevenparham
Hooked

Thanks @BrightonRock

The issue is the router connection to broadband rather than the wifi to pc connection. We often get the red light flashing on the hub, then wait a few mins for it to come back online.

Thanks for the advice I'll take a look at the troubleshooting and raise a fault.

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Steve.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for the drops, so I'd too recommend trying the troubleshooting steps above.

If you give us a nudge over here once you've reported the fault we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevenparham
Hooked

Hi there,
I only have one mastersocket in my house into which router and phone is plugged in. Phone line doesn't sound noisy. I had message to say I should unplug things for 3 days - does it mean I must unplug phone for 3 days or is it ok to leave plugged in. Rather not be without phone for 3 days but if necessary then ok.
Thanks for advice
Steve
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for the information.

If the phone isn't noisy you could leave it connected but ideally we need everything removed

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stevenparham
Hooked

Ok phone unplugged, please let me know when I can plug it in again.

Thank you
Steve
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the delayed update Steve.

How's the troubleshooting going? Looks like your connection is still dropping:

Is your router plugged into the test socket?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevenparham
Hooked

hi Gandalf,

Thanks for checking up!

I didn't have any filter to use to plug into the test stocket - I requested one from PLusnet and I shoudl get it soon now I think. As soon as I do I'll plug phone and router into test socket - will post here when done.

All day on Moday 3rd my phone was umplugged so it was just router plugged into main socket (not the test socket though) and I see there were still connection drops.

I'll post here and reply to the email plusnet sent me when I receive filter and all plugged into test.

Many thanks

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Steve.

I can see the microfilter has been ordered, so it should arrive soon.

As your line is still dropping without your phone handset plugged in, you're probably safe to plug it back in.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevenparham
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Just got microfilter so now phone and router are plugged into the test socket via this filter.

Thanks

Steve

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @stevenparham,

Thank you for connecting the new micro-filter.

After further inspection of the drops, it appears that your connection drops between 8am - 7pm. Do you have any electronic device on a timer that starts at around 8am then switches off around 7pm?

I have retested the service and updated the fault ticket, if the connection drops while connected to the test socket, please provide your availability for an engineers visit on the ticket and we will book the appointment.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional