cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband at 6mbps disconnects every couple of hours

Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Fibre broadband at 6mbps disconnects every couple of hours

I've had fibre from plusnet for 6 days. For the first few days the download speed was 38mbps or so & upload 2mbps (so as expected). The trouble was online gaming was stuttering constantly on a ps4.

This stuttering during gaming has now stopped - but another problem has materialised.

My download speed is now 6mbps (upload the same) & the router is disconnecting from the Internet every hour or two!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on or is plusnet really as bad a provider as they so far seem, with a service not "fit for purpose"?
26 REPLIES 26
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Fibre broadband at 6mbps disconnects every couple of hours

fwiw, it is unlikely router disconnection problems you are witnessesing are caused by the current 'packet loss' issue experienced by some users.

Can I suggest you try the following basic diagnostics and report back?

Were your speed tests and disconnections observed over a wired or wireless connection?

Run BT performance tester on a web browser on a PC.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Click on 'Further Diagnostics' at the end of the first test and report the downstream and upstream 'IP profile' speeds.

If downstream IP proflie is significantly less than 38 mbps, check your internal wiring

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Try the hub connected to the engineer's 'Test Socket', which will bypass all your internal telephone extension wiring, to see if normal 38mbps speed is restored:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hey,

How are you connected to your router? Wireless or Ethernet Cable?

If it's Wireless, can you connect via Ethernet Cable and see if the same issue occurs?

Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Hi I'm connected via lan to a games console & just use the wireless for an iphone. When the disconnection occurs both the wireless & wired connections drop
Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Hi thanks for this. I'll test these out to see
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If you cannot run the BT wholesale speed tester, perhaps use web browser on your phone to log into the Hub One at   192.168.1.254.

Go to Advanced tab.

Choose Broadband tab.

I think it should report the downstream and upstream line speeds.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've had a look at your connection logs from our side and it looks as though when it drops your LAN and Wireless out, it's not disconnecting the Internet, so that's ruled out a problem with the line, but perhaps with the router.

What router are using? Is it the Hub One?

Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Hi, Yes it is a hub one router
Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Hi, yeah it appears to be reporting the speeds as normal - may be the router then?
Gregg
Grafter

I have the same problem, was on 80/20 and now i am on 3mbit at the most and always disconnecting.

They need to sort their [-Censored-] out because I am not putting up with this poor service for another 6 weeks while they [-Censored-] around wasting open reach engineers and my time.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Gregg, have you been through any troubleshooting and reported this to us?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gregg
Grafter

Plusnet have network issues, maybe they should do some troubleshooting on their end.

I have some basic images for them to follow, stuff like how to plug in a rj45. Maybe this would help them?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If we have network issues this will not affect the sync connection between your router and the cabinet, which is why I've asked about the troubleshooting.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Patd95yrg
Dabbler

Hi Chris, it does appear to be the router dropping at which point neither wireless nor wired connect.

I've tried resetting all router settings & as much & where possible to factory presets, but to no avail.
Should I be calling to request a new router?
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Patd95yrg

My download speed is now 6mbps (upload the same) & the router is disconnecting from the Internet every hour or two!

If you are actually getting 6Mbps upload, maybe your router is dropping out of VDSL and reverting to ADSL?

On your router home page, go to the Troubleshooting / Event Log tab and set the "Category" pulldown to "WAN".

The first entry should be something like

11:28:56, 21 Sep. ( 131.960000) WAN operating mode is VDSL

and a bit further down, something like

11:28:53, 21 Sep. ( 129.050000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39952Kbps, Up Rate=1999Kbps; SNR Margin Down=17.8dB, Up=30.7dB

Do you see something similar?