cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre availability in Milton Keynes

briank
Grafter

Fibre availability in Milton Keynes

On the TV news today they were talking about superfast broadband availability in remote villages.
I had to laugh because I live near the center of Milton Keynes (Bradwell Abbey Exchange) and I am unable to get a fibre connection - at least not through Plusnet.
It seems crazy to me that where I live, fibre is available to BT customers but not Plusnet.
The joke is that Plusnet is, of course, owned by BT.
My neighbours have had BT fibre connections for some time, so there must already be a fibre link to the cabinet in the road.
There is clearly no technical or logistical reason for Plusnet not to offer fibre in MK  - it can only be a marketing strategy/business decision.
Is Plusnet going to provide MK customers with what they want or do we all have to switch supplier?

10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Fibre availability in Milton Keynes

In Plusnet's home city of Sheffield there is a serious lack of BT Fibre less than 2 miles from the main exchange in the city centre.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AndyH
Grafter

@ briank - Where about's in MK are you? I'm also in MK (well when I'm actually there) and large parts have FTTP rather than FTTC - there is a different process to get FTTP.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
It looks like you can get FTTP rather than FTTC.
We don't offer this as a product yet but we have a trial ongoing.
You can sign up using the link below
http://trials.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
briank
Grafter

That's Interesting.
I made enquiries about the FTTP trial some time ago and was told it had ended.
It is not currently advertised as an option under alternative product offerings.
See: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/09/next-plusnets-uk-fttp-broadband-service.html
Four years seems like a long trial period.
Surely any technical problems would have been discovered and fixed by now?
Why is it still offered on a trial basis and is not a standard product offering?
As far as I can see, the monthly fee is no different to what I currently pay for contract free ADSL broadband (£14.99).
The T&Cs do state that I would have to pay another £2.50 per month unless I use Plusnet as my phone supplier (currently BT).
If I do that, does that mean I can ditch my BT landline complely and save £15.99 per month?
The only reason I can think of for keeping a land line would be to be able to make phone calls during a power failure.
With access to a mobile, this seems unnecessary.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

You'll have to choose one of our Fibre packages as part of the trial.
As to why it's still a trial I'm not sure of the exact reasoning however very few people can get FTTP compared to FTTC.
In terms of removing the landline all together I'm not sure if that can be done.
I'll get one of the guys who deals with the orders to check that for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks to Wheeler for alerting this post to me.
Quote from: briank
Surely any technical problems would have been discovered and fixed by now?
Why is it still offered on a trial basis and is not a standard product offering?

The product itself is second to none once it's up and running.
We've grown quite as a company recently. There is a lot on our plate at the moment and the public launch of a new product would create quite a lot more work. As many customers who have dealt with me in the past (along with AndyH who is our resident expert) will know, the provision of the FTTP service often gets put into states of delay. As a result of this, a lot of human resource is required to nag Openreach to deal with the provisions (along with training our staff on how to nag them, and how FTTP works). As a result of this, the trial has remained a trial for quite some time, and in honesty there's nothing in place for a public launch yet.
Quote from: briank
As far as I can see, the monthly fee is no different to what I currently pay for contract free ADSL broadband (£14.99).
The T&Cs do state that I would have to pay another £2.50 per month unless I use Plusnet as my phone supplier (currently BT).
If I do that, does that mean I can ditch my BT landline complely and save £15.99 per month?
The only reason I can think of for keeping a land line would be to be able to make phone calls during a power failure.
With access to a mobile, this seems unnecessary.

I covered this in a previous thread as highlighted by Andy, but I can arrange the cessation of your line.
Let me know if you opt in for the trial and I'll provision your order for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
briank
Grafter

Forgive my ignorance here, but I don't understand how you connect a standard phone if you only have FTTP and no copper landline.
Does the fibre modem that comes with FTTP include a standard phone socket and multiplex the phone signal down the fibre link along with the broadband data?
Do you need an internet phone with an ethernet connection that you plug into a router?
AndyH
Grafter

FTTP supports two voice lines (it probably could do more, but this is what the ONT/modem supports). It's known as FVA (fibre voice access).
They connect your master socket (NTE5) to the ONT and there is a little jumper switch so you can move it across when the FVA is ready to be activated. The existing cabling in your house is all left in place and works the same as before.
Plusnet don't actually support FVA at present. I am sure they will in the future, but if you order a phone line with them it's over copper at the moment.
FTTP is well worth the upgrade!
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I'm one of the people who only have Plusnet FTTP and no land line.
I have a VOIP adaptor to which I connect a standard DECT phone and the adaptor has an Ethernet cable to my router. The unit is called an Obi200 and it works reasonable well so far. Will pay for itself in 3 months or so with the savings made by having no land line rental. I did have to get a new number but no hardship as the old number was ex-directory and told to very few people.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT