cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre availability confusion

MikeBz
Rising Star

Fibre availability confusion

I registered my interest in fibre with BT a long time ago, and on 13 November 2015 had an email from them saying that it was now available hurrah.
I just 'phoned PlusNet to discuss my options as an out-of-contract customer, to be told that fibre isn't available to me.
Here's where it gets confusing - if I put my 'phone number into dslchecker.bt.com then it lists FTTC Range A (Clean) and FTTC Range B (Impacted) as being available.
If I put my address/postcode (no 'phone number) into dslchecker.bt.com then there is no FTTC listed.
If I put my 'phone number and postcode into productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages then it tells me that super-fast fibre is available, as does every other service provider offering fibre in my area.
So, what is going on?
5 REPLIES 5
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Fibre availability confusion

When you put your postcode/address in to the dslchecker, it shows a different cabinet to the one that shows when you put your telephone number in.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Having said this, I have no idea why they've told you it isn't available. I've just started going the package change options on your account and fibre shows as available Angry Sending some feedback on to the manager of the person you spoke to.
Apologies that they advised you fibre isn't available, when it does seem to be available to order.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MikeBz
Rising Star

Thanks for the quick response Harry, so it sounds as though the person I spoke had been misinformed/wrongly trained etc.?  He was very pleasant and helpful to deal with, but was convinced that using the address checker was the correct test of availability.
I'd like to switch Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband plus my existing 'phone package options if I can get it on the same deal as a new customer (£10.00 per month for the broadband part for the first 6 months, £19.99 thereafter, 18 month contract).  Otherwise I'm better off just playing the switching game, going to another supplier for the duration of the contract and then coming back to PlusNet as a new customer (it's all a bit daft, but it's the way the world seems to work these days).
Mike
hello101

Harry i went through the exact same thing!! Even put an order in. Then got left until i called and got the exact bull.
Basically its something like there are 2 cabinets.
Plusnet can look at both but dont. They focus on 1.
I kept getting yes no yes maybe ooooo dont know.
Finally got it installed but i must say their cust service so far has been shockingly bad.
I would recommend you dont go for them. But if you still want to then call back and force them to look at their other system and cabinet and i bet you its available.
I hope this helps
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@hello101 - I'm not sure what you mean by 'force them to look at their other system' when you were advised fibre wasn't available, this was due to the line being recently installed and the fact it sometimes takes Openreach 48 hours to confirm fibre availability on new lines. Although I understand at one point you were advised fibre wasn't available, I can only put this down to the advisor at the time not realising that the line had only recently been restarted and the records hadn't yet been updated by Openreach.
When placing orders, the cabinet we look at is the one your line is connected to (Or at least the cabinet that the records show you are connected to)
In this scenario with Mike, I'm not sure why the advisor chose to check the address details and not the line details. As per my previous response, I've passed feedback on to their manager regarding this.
@MikeBz - It would be best to give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) to see what they can offer, or if they are able to price match the offer you have seen. I know they can sometimes price match, but I can't guarantee this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
hello101

Harry8 what i meant was 1 advisor said he was looking at the other cabinet but for some reason as i had placed an order he couldnt go ahead. When i called back the next advisor knew nothing about it.
It was well after 48hrs as well so that isnt really an excuse.
It took me a week of non stop phone calls going through different advisors to finally get connected