cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and youview

tolmie35
Grafter

Fibre and youview

Hi folks, Ive placed my upgrade to fibre and my date is the 7th Jan, cant wait, anyway I was wondering if in the future plusnet will offer any youview type of deals. I'm with sky and my contract is up in march and was planning on changing over to BT youview. As plusnet are a BT company is there any collaboration or will I be paying more as I will have fibre with plusnet and TV with BT.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre and youview

Plusnet have not made any announcements regarding a TV offering although they have run trials in the past.  They are run as a completely separate company and there is no tie up between PN and BT.
You will not be able to sign up to BT TV as it only works on a BT Broadband.  If you buy a retail Youview box you will have access to Freeview channels, catch up services and paid for online offerings such as Netflix, but not the extra channels that BT or Talk Talk offer.
There's a pretty good summary here:  http://www.youview.com/whats-on/
tolmie35
Grafter

Will I be able to get bt sport on a retail youview box, I take it you can get now tv
pwatson
Rising Star

BT Sport will not be available on a retail Youview box.  Plusnet do provide access via a BSkyB  box however.
The Youview NowTV player only allows (or at least, only used to allow) access to Sky Movies.  I don't use NowTV so I can't say whether the Entertainment and Sports packs now work.
A retail NowTV box will be fine though.
tolmie35
Grafter

Bt really know how to limit there reach to customers, crazy
pwatson
Rising Star

Yes,  BT Retail do restrict their service to their customers...  You haven't signed up for a BT Retail broadband service though so what did you expect?
As I said, Plusnet and BT Retail are not the same company, they just have the same owner.
tolmie35
Grafter

ok, why as a company would you sell tv boxes in retails shops, take on sky and not allow retails customers to watch BT Sports, sorry but completed suicide. There is no benefit for this, you should be trying to reach as many customers as possible and teaming up with companies like plusnet is how you do it.
pwatson
Rising Star

Again, you're mixing companies up.  Youview is a company in its own right - It is owned by the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT Group, Talk Talk and Arqiva.  The retail version of the box is a Freeview PVR with integrated access to catch up services.  The box is also compatible with the BT Wholesale TV Connect platform.
Both BT Retail and Talk Talk have chosen to offer TV services to their customers using the box as a receiver.  By doing so they are attempting to attract customers to their broadband services and so only make the service available if you take their broadband.  
Plusnet, along with most other broadband providers, do not (currently) offer a TV service.  BSkyB and Virgin Media do offer TV of course, but via their own closed systems,
tolmie35
Grafter

ok sorry, to be 100% factually correct im referring to the BT 2100 box, it has the BT badge etc, everything I've said remains in reference to that box, suicide. You don't have to be with sky broadband to get sky tv, BT should think the same with there BT boxes.
pwatson
Rising Star

OK - Sorry.  I wasn't aware of the DTR-T2100.  This is the first box with BT branding, despite being a Humax product.  All the previous Youview boxes were sold as Humax products.
I'd agree that it presents a confusing message Wink
tolmie35
Grafter

Well hopefully in future they will allow you to get BT sport regardless of you being a BT customer. They would get so many customers, cheers anyway. Smiley