Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and interleaving on/off

liamlej
Dabbler

Fibre and interleaving on/off

Hi,
I have a rock solid 63/17 fibre connection  Cheesy . I online game a bit and was wondering if i would benefit having interleaving turned off (if this is possible with fibre).
I understand that my line stability "could" develop errors but the lower ping times would be great.
Currently my uk pings are between 10ms - 18ms.
Anyone had fastmode enabled?
Any advice would be gr8.
5 REPLIES 5
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Fibre and interleaving on/off

Normally if a connection is really solid DLM will turn off interleaving after a couple of weeks or so.
At the moment DLM has been turned off, but (probably) not the use of the settings it left behind (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134340.0/topicseen.html) so it looks as if people are stuck with interleaving if it is on.
Plusnet may be able to help, but the whole process is quite unclear at the moment.
liamlej
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.
Hopefully a member from Plusnet Staff will be able to confirm if  interleaving on my current profile is on or off.
Thanks in advance
Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

On FTTC, the line profile defaults to going as fast as it can, without interleaving, without FEC and without banding. All from the first connection.
On the third day, DLM uses the statistics gathered on the first 2 days to decide whether to intervene; it then re-analyses the new statistics each night, and makes a new decision.
So your line will have started out without interleaving (and FEC), and will have had the lowest latency. If DLM has intervened since, it is because it thinks your line needs it. It will only de-intervene if it thinks your line has proven (through gathering statistics for a few days) that it no longer requires the intervention.
Plusnet (or, indeed, and ISP) cannot change the DLM status, or even ask for a change; DLM can only be reset by request from an Openreach engineer, who is under instruction to only do so if he actually fixes a fault on the line. This DLM reset puts things back to the start ... but if DLM still thinks an intervention is neccessary, it will do so 3 days later.
Note that DLM's first level of intervention will add 8ms of delay in the interleaving, which in turn seems to become closer to 10ms extra on the end-end latency.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
liamlej
Dabbler

Great info. Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
I can confirm that you have no interleaving on your line at the moment.
If you have any further questions please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team