cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and Fibre Extra differences

JasonMassey
Grafter

Fibre and Fibre Extra differences

This is a question about differences between the current Unlimited Fibre and the Unlimited Fibre Extra package.
Currently I’m 12 months into a Unlimited Fibre Extra package, over time my speeds have been dropping.   Initially I was on 59Mb, currently my IP profile is showing 46Mb.   I’m now considering switching to the Unlimited Fibre (upto 38Mb) package.
What differences are there between the two packages?   I have noticed that the 38Mb package has an upload of up to 19.5Mb, this surprised me as 38Mb download packages normally have an upload of 9.5Mb.   Currently my upload is syncing at 12Mb, I work from home and would not want to lose anything off my upload by changing packages.
Are there any other differences between the packages, I presume traffic management stays the same.   Am I correct in thinking only difference is cap on the download sync speed?
Thanks for any help
Jason
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre and Fibre Extra differences

That is absolutely correct
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi JasonMassey,
Couldn't have put it better myself, the download speed is the only difference.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
JasonMassey
Grafter

MattyC / Oldjim many thanks for response.
Would Plusnet change my package to standard, given I still have 6 months left on my Fibre Extra contract.
Also I have a static IP, am I correct in thinking this would stay the same.
Finally if I did change, what downtime would there be.  I presume it would be minimal and my connection would be dropped and reconnected with the new profile.
Thanks again
Jason
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How long did it take for your ip profile to drop down? It may seem obvious but you're not turning your modem off/on all the time are you? as that could make the DLM think that your connection is unstable hence why it's dropping you down.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

One thing that is definitely worth mentioning is that it'll recontract you to the 18 months. Please be weary of this.
Your IP should remain the same.
The chances are that you won't notice the break in connection. It is very minimal.
Feel free to let me know if there's any problems.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest phoning Customer Options as it will mean starting a new contract and you don't want to lose any discounts
   0800 013 2632
   0330 123 9197
   Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
   Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
Static IP wouldn't change
There should be a drop in PPP session but not the sync so a couple of minutes downtime only and the change would take place on the next billing date
@slavo71
This is fibre and turning the router on and off doesn't affect the DLM as that only looks at the modem connection
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah I meant the modem, I'll update. TY.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Thanks again for everyone's help
Jason
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

One more minor difference that seems to have been missed is Plusnet Protect:
Our Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee security package keeps you and your family safe online. It comes free with Unlimited Broadband and Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband, or with Unlimited Fibre Broadband you’ll get the first 3 months free, then it’s just £2 a month after that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Just a quick question regarding connection down speed.
I've downgraded to the 40mbit package, it will be next month before this switches over.
The question.  Is the 40mbit cap a drop in modem line speed (by the BT network), or does the line speed remain the same and cap placed at PlusNet end.
I have been having some occasional connection drop downs, and hoping the cap is modem line speed, could anyone please confirm?
Thanks again
Jason
Reason5
Grafter

Glad I'm not the only one I posted a few months ago that my Plusnet Essentials Fibre had dropped by 10meg from what my line speed  used to be and
now I'm paying more and I'm getting a bit sick of the 40 gig download cap as soon as you go anywhere near it they just want to charge you another £5
without asking . Angry
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: JasonMassey
The question.   Is the 40mbit cap a drop in modem line speed (by the BT network), or does the line speed remain the same and cap placed at PlusNet end.
I have been having some occasional connection drop downs, and hoping the cap is modem line speed, could anyone please confirm?

The cap is purely at the Plusnet end of things, modem sync is unaffected by the product change (it's still provisioned as an 80/20 (max) service).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JasonMassey
Grafter

w23,  thanks for clarifying this.  I was hoping it was a modem sync drop as I wanted the extra stability.  Also I've got interleaving on as ping times have increased, again hoped a sync drop may have stopped that.
Just out of interest, I did not require a new contract, and told I can switch to the faster speed when required.  I'll monitor the line, if it ever speeds up I can switch back again.
Thanks everyone again