cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Wireless V Wired speeds...help?

stuartsmillie

Fibre Wireless V Wired speeds...help?

So I got fiber installed and when using wireless I get 45MBPS, however if I use wired I get 75MBPS. This is what I should get.
Now I've tried to change the wifi broadcast channel on the Plusnet router that's connected to the BT modem and it makes no difference (yeah I tried all 13 channels)
I've also tried to switch off the cordless phones etc but it makes no difference. Oh I'm only about 4 meters away from the router that's in my hallway.
Any idea suggestions apart from using wired as I don't want a Ethernet cable running about my house or should I splash £50 on a powerline adapter?
5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Fibre Wireless V Wired speeds...help?

What specification of wireless adapter does your computer have? You need N300 or better hardware to be able to use the full potential of the Plusnet router's wireless.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The options include:

• Accept that your wireless devices will only get around 45Mb/s maximum (apart from speedtests is there anything that actually requires a higher speed on a specific wireless device?).

• Use Powerline adapters (remember that some of these too may be limited in throughput).

• Add a decent wireless access point / wi-fi extender.

• Change to a better router with faster wi-fi (note this (and the previous suggestion) will only be of benefit if the connected devices support the faster wi-fi speeds).

• Ethernet! (I know, I'll get my coat now!).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
stuartsmillie

My laptop, PS4 and IPad should all handle the full download speed. I'm paying an extra £10 a month for the top speed but not getting it. The main reason is that I download a lot of games etc on PS4 and every little bit of extra speed helps.
Might opt for the power line adapters, you stated to change to a better router, doesn't the Plusnet provided one do the job?
dick:quote
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Powerline adaptors *might* help but I've found that for me anyway they are slower than WiFi. My computer is on the first floor and Router downstairs in the living under the stairs. I had expected powerline adaptors to give me really good speed since I'm in a new build house with new wiring but seems not!
I would recommend looking at another router and comparing to powerline adaptors before just buying powerline adaptors
Speed on wifi:

Speed over powerline:

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Which iPad? Only the iPad Air appears to have 2x2 "up to 300Mbps" wireless, earlier models were had 1x1 150Mbps wireless, which in practice will operate at a maximum wireless rate of 65 or 72Mbps, which would probably be sufficient for download speeds and speedtest results of around 45Mbps. PS4 has 2x2 "up to 300Mbps" wireless.