cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre? What Fibre?

Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Fibre? What Fibre?

I am getting increasingly annoyed with Plusnet now!!! I have been with you guys for years but I've decided that enough is enough - I upgraded to Fibre a few weeks ago and received an email during the week saying the fibre has completed. At the time the lady on the phone said that she wasn't able to provide a speed estimate but that we should go ahead with the order to speed things up. I live in a rural area but it's just been upgraded to Fibre and we are located 800 meters from the exchange. I decided to buy a new VDSL2 router so I bought a TPLink TD-W9980 as I needed the 1gbit ports on the rear. After spending hours redoing the setup I still can't enable the fibre connection, my line will only allow ADSL through the setup as it just won't connect! I thought that if VDSL was finally added to the line that ADSL would then be removed, leaving my line inactive but I'm sat here typing, stuck on crappy DSL with an unstable speed of 2.5 mbps as per usual. How do I get my money back and all the time that I have been spending, trying to get a decent broadband connection to run a family business? 

I know straight away that because I'm not using plusnet's standard modem that they won't help with connection settings etc so I'm completely lost - and if I am to only receive a few mbps then I may as well cut the bleeding phone line and use a 4G dongle!!!

16 REPLIES 16
Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Re: Fibre? What Fibre?

Forgot to add, the price increase as well of just under £23 for broadband alone is absolute robbery for a customer of over 5 years 😞

Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It took about a month to get my Unlimited Fibre Extra and I was given ADSL while they sorted it out.

The Plusnet One Hub does have Gigabit Ethernet ports and Gigabit (802.11b/g/n/ac) Wireless BTW.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Dave, 

Sorry things haven't been sped up, the ADSL would indeed be disconnected if the FTTC/VDSL was enabled, I think that our side has triggered the fibre change but the line hasn't been upgraded yet, I'm back in at 9 on Monday so will take a look and get things sorted for you

As Doglet rightly says, the Hub One does have gigabit ethernet also

Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I made a mistake, they still haven't transferred me to Fibre Extra, I'm stuck somewhere in between!!!!

SpeedTest.JPG

THIS IS YOUR CURRENT BROADBAND PACKAGE
Unlimited (Contracted)

£9.99◊
per month

Unlimited Usage
    5Mb - 12Mb download speed (estimated)
    You've 8 months left of your 12 month contract
    Perfect for everyday browsing, sharing photos and basic TV or movie streaming

herojan
Grafter

Hi

Did you get a date for your fibre switch emailed to you when you changed your package?

When I changed from adsl to fibre I was given a change over date. However I got one of those 'completed' emails days before the date and remained on adsl until openreach switched over my line on the original date given to me.

Looking at these forums it seems a common event.
Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Thanks for the responses everyone. For account reasons, my username is zstmackenzie.

With regard to the One hub, my wife was advised it only had 100mbit ports, if I had known it had 1gbit I wouldn't have bought the TPLink unit Sad I'll see if I can return the TP unit and go about ordering a one hub? The trouble is, if I call, I get put on hold for 17 minutes and while working in the week this just isn't good for anyone!

I am very confused as to why we're paying more as existing customers considering new customers are a higher risk at pulling out of the contractual period? At this point I think I'll be moving to the dreaded BT if nothing happens as I honestly can't work like this. I'm an IT professional in the day and a wedding photographer on weekends so upload and download speed is key for me to update my website daily!

herojan
Grafter

Speak to the retentions team, I did and they more or less matched the BT deal at the time, signing up for a 18 month contract.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good Morning Dave, 

EDIT: sorry I've not long been up, didn't see your note below the speedtest, seems the account change went through our side hence the email saying things are complete, but the actual package didn't switch correctly, I'll get that looked into to find a more detailed reason but it's a quick fix to get you onto the right speeds, really sorry about this.

Restart your router at 9am on Monday and those speeds will be exactly what you expect, I'll sort out some refunds for the time you haven't had the full speed too, If you want a Hub One, I can get one sorted for just the P&P if you'd like 

Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Thanks Paul

How would I go about sourcing a One Hub? I took the TP link unit back to PCWorld so I will be left with no broadband tomorrow by the look of things! Am I paying the correct amount for a 5+ year customer? I would have thought there would be some kind of deal for loyal customers as we also have phone + line with plusnet!

Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Still no news, ADSL is still active and I'm being charged for Fibre, wow. Just Wow.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dave, could you restart your router for me, I've just checked and the speed profile was set low again, the lines definitely on Fibre however, also you should get a Hub One within the next few days

Davemackenzie
Dabbler

Unfortunately I'm at work so I'll ask my wife to do this as she's working from home today. Have you ordered a one hub for me ? If she restarts the router (which is only ADSL) will this result in the line then becoming dead until the VDSL router arrives?
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again Dave, 

I have indeed ordered one, hopefully it's there tomorrow, I've ran a few checks and there some to be some data integrity issues for your line which I will admit I overlooked in error, you are still on ADSL however some checks are showing Fibre, a Fibre engineer is actually due out tomorrow to get things up and running onto the correct Fibre package, once he has done the work then the ADSL will cease and if there are still records issues following that I will get those updated.

Not too sure how this came to be, but I'll make sure by the end of this week, you have the right speed, right equipment and the service you requested initially.

MouseHouse

Wow, this looks like a [-Censored-] up. Hope there is going to be a price reduction!