cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upload Speeds

rigsby
Dabbler

Fibre Upload Speeds

I've been dithering about it for too long so this week I'm ready to switch to Fibre.
So I checked the "change product" options out in the Member Centre and I can have:
Unlimited Fibre with Phone £14.99
Estimated Download 35.7 MB
Estimated Upload 1.9MB
Unlimited Without Phone £17.49 + activation fee
Estimated Download 35.7 MB
Estimated Upload 8.3MB
Only 1.9 MB Upload with Fibre?  Is that what other PlusNet subscribers are getting?  I spoke with Andy in customer support and he checked this and tells me that PlusNet Fibre is "capped" at 1.9MB and the 8.3MB is "an anomaly".  This sounds very strange and I would have thought existing customers would be very unhappy.  Are they?
Btw I also ran a speed test on my next door neighbour's BT Infinity Fibre and he seems to be averaging 51MB download and 10.2MB upload - same exchange as me as far as I can tell so why aren't these speeds achievable with PlusNet?
Any thoughts welcome.  Not happy placing an order for such low upload speeds.

22 REPLIES 22
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Upload Speeds

If your estimate is below 40Mbs then your upload speed will be capped at 2Mb/s. Our Fibre Extra product has a higher upload speed however if the estimate is lower than 40Mb on the download then we wouldn't offer the Fibre Extra service.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rigsby
Dabbler

But that means little upload improvement over what I'm getting right now. Is this just PlusNet?  Do other providers cap upload speed too?  And If I go for the "without phone" option would it be possible to get 8.3MB?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@rigsby
Plusnet only sell two FTTC products (ignore the phone bit as that just effects the price you pay)
Product 1. Download speed 80mbps, upload speed 20mbps

Product 2. Download speed 40mbps, upload speed 2mbps

This changed in June this year as prior to that the upload speed was 20mbps for both products.

Plusnet will not sell you the 80mbps product if they estimate that your line is not able to support a download speed higher than 40mbps.

And you guessed right, many new people are not happy about this new lower upload speed. It doesn't effect existing customers.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
djtoastie
Grafter

Quote from: rigsby

Only 1.9 MB Upload with Fibre?  Is that what other PlusNet subscribers are getting?  I spoke with Andy in customer support and he checked this and tells me that PlusNet Fibre is "capped" at 1.9MB and the 8.3MB is "an anomaly".  This sounds very strange and I would have thought existing customers would be very unhappy.  Are they?

Yes from what ive seen and am currently experiencing myself, i am very disappointed with the upload speed, its only twice the speed of my old broadband which is not very "superfast". I think its a disgrace to the super fast highway of the tinternet. I don't even get to the max of 2Mbps, mine is down to 1.6Mbps.  There are many other ISPs with higher upload speeds, and if i wasn't in this contract i would leave immediately. but unfortunately i did not know about the useless upload speeds before i joined and got confused with the figures. now they wont fix it or let me go the [Censored] [Censored]

adie:green fixed quote
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As I have said before, PN are willing to lose customers who want a faster upload and are prepared to pay for the 80/20 product (even when their download will be less than 40). Willing to pay the extra just to get a faster upload, and PN say no.
BT, on their 40 product allow uploads up to 10 Mbps. So if upload of 2 Mbps is not sufficient for you, and your line supports less than 40 Mbps download, then PN is not the supplier for you.
BT have a good deal right now on the 40/10 unlimited product.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

There's something very wrong with this policy of denying a faster upload speed if you don't have the Extra Service, AND not allowing customers to purchase they faster service if it can't be achieved. If you could upload faster for £5 month, you should be allowed to, even if the down was snails-pace.
Maybe PlusNet should Sell Faster uploads separately, or rename the Extra Product "Fastest Speed your Line will Support" (or a much catchier title inferring this)?
rigsby
Dabbler

Well I've been a loyal PlusNet customer for 10 years but I'm not prepared to accept a 2 mbps cap on Fibre upload speeds.  I called customer services again today to query the fact that whereas the Fibre+phone package offered shows 1.9Mb upload the Broadband Fibre only offering shows 8.3Mb upload with 18 month contract (screenshots attached). 
Was told that even if I ordered the 18 month Broadband fibre only package it would still be capped at 1.9Mb upload even though that's not what it shows.  The person I spoke with (Julian) said he was just the messenger and couldn't do anything to help me and there wasn't any point in me speaking with anyone else about the issue.
So sadly I'm now going to have to look around elsewhere which I'm really not best pleased about.  I really can't understand why PlusNet are doing this, especially as far as I'm aware they are on their own.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just out of interest, will the average user be significantly affected by the upload speed cap? My 40/20 fibre connection will only manage 8Mbps anyway, I rarely send emails with large file attachments, or use cloud services or photosharing sites. Even if I did, presumeably the uploads could run in the background, and would downloads be affected if batch uploads were taking place at the same time?
Where else would the cap have the most noticeable impact?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
rigsby
Dabbler

Just out of interest, will the average user be significantly affected by the upload speed cap?

The thing is, average users are probably going to do more uploading in future, what with OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud etc.  Even BT offer 5GB of online storage with broadband packages.  I don't think committing to an 18 month contract capped to 2Mb is a good idea.
puzzledoff
Grafter

Another (ex) customer here switching away from Plusnet because of the cut-back upload speed and inability in this area to take the 76Mb package.  Difficult to see how Plusnet are gaining from this situation.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: puzzledoff
Difficult to see how Plusnet are gaining from this situation.

They are gaining because they are paying less than before for the 40 Mbps product. I am sure they realise they will hack off some customers by doing so, but I assume they think it is worthwhile because of the cost savings they make. I really think it is a very poor move on their behalf. Profits before service.
I think we are on the cusp of the average customer demanding more upload speed, so Plusnet did not pick a good time to do this. It is all about the numbers now sadly.
I recently renewed my fibre contract when I received the price rise email. I got a better deal, and the first question I asked was whether I would still be on the 40/20 product. The answer was yes because it was not a new provision. If they had said it would be the 2Mbps upload speed, I would have been off to BT in a heartbeat.
rigsby
Dabbler

If they had said it would be the 2Mbps upload speed, I would have been off to BT in a heartbeat

And today I have indeed placed my order for BT Infinity Unlimited, installing later this month.
xpander

Woke up today to find out my upload connection has been capped at 2mb, I asked a representative why (via web/online chat) and I got this response:
'Alright then my apologies for this, I've been having a little trouble changing this for you so i did a little bit of investigating and this is actually something that is planned, we have stopped providing high upload options for everyone so that more room can be made for fibre round the country so I'm sorry to say i can't change you from 2Mb'
When I took up a phone & broadband package last week the person I was dealing with never mentioned about the capped speeds and he did say 'nothing will changed and you will still receieve your 45mb down and 19mb upload speeds.'
And now it seems if i want the same speeds again, i must pay an additional £5 extra per month! I am very annoyed about this as I do alot of uploading to my cloud services. Can't wait to get home and give Plusnet an earful and begin looking for other ISP's.
xpander

Sorry to be derailing this thread but to carry on from my previous post, it seems that I do not have the option to upgrade my account (extra £5.00 a month) in able to receive the faster download/upload speeds that I only used to have last week.
They have acknowledged that I was miss-sold a package but now they can't do anything about it. What a cock-up from Plusnet! I was happy with the speeds I had before and now I can't get those speeds again?!?! Why the stupid upload cap Plusnet? I had faster Upload speeds with BeThere on ADSL 2!
Thank you Plusnet for the good service that i received in the past 18 months, it's a shame it's gone downhill.