Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upload Speed

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fibre Upload Speed

Thanks sjptd,
So does anyone know the preferred method of disconnecting? I originally thought click disconnect on the TG582n, then power down the fibre router? But if anyone has a known method that prevents DLM from kicking in, then that is the method I would use.
Thanks in advance.
sjptd
Grafter

Powering down the modem is the best option.
If it is unlocked it is best to disconnect it from the modem's web interface.  This is NOT the same as disconnecting the router from its web interface, which disconnects the higher level PPPoE session but not the VDSL modem-cabinet connection.)
The theory is that powering it down at least gives it a change to send a 'last gasp' message to the cabinet, so the cabinet and DLM know the disconnection is not the result of sudden noise.  Pulling the telephone wire does not do this, so is more likely to be interpreted as an error.  It may well be the theory is a lot of bunkum; there are lots of false statements in this area and I cannot promise that mine is not one such false message.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks sjptd - what you say makes sense - that disconnecting the PPPoE session won't really make any difference.
I don't have an unlocked fibre router so can't disconnect it from a web interface.
I will go for the power down approach when my replacement patch cable arrives.
Still not sure why the upload speed is slower than estimates (as per the original request for assistance). I am hoping someone from PN can respond sometime next week to see if there is anything they can think of that might be causing it.
I do understand that it may just be a fact of life, as one argument is that the system will go as fast as it is able to, and if it doesn't go any faster, it is because it can't!
I just want to make sure nothing at my end is contributing to the slow (well below estimate at least) upload speed.
Thanks again.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The definitive answer (according to those that know over on Kitz) is that BT's implementation of DLM ignores the dying gasp message. Instead it treats any disconnect longer than 15 minutes as a power problem, not a line fault. But you don't know when the 15 minute timer starts so you have to disconnect for 30 minutes to be sure DLM won't kick in.