cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upload Speed

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Fibre Upload Speed

I wonder if anyone from PN can assist me with trying to determine if my FTTC upload speed is within the estimate, or whether it is a little on the low side.
I am new to fibre, having only had it installed this week.
My BT Speed estimates are as follows...
FTTC Range A (Clean) : Downstream : High=64.4, Low = 45.3
FTTC Range B (Impacted) : Downstream : High=54.8, Low = 30.6
FTTC Range A (Clean) : Upstream : High=18.5, Low = 11.9
FTTC Range B (Impacted) : Upstream : High=18, Low = 7.9
I am consistently achieving around 37.5 Mbps on download (I check it each day since the install). This is close to PN's speed estimate (40 Mps) given at the time of sign up.
On upload, I am consistently achieving 7.4 to 8 Mbps.
I also checked with the BT speedtester, and it shows around 38 Mbps down, and 7 Mbps up. The BT IP Profile for my line is 50.3 Mbps, but I understand PN cap it to 40 Mbps at their end because I am on the 40 Mbps product.
The BT upload profile is 20 Mbps.
So the question is this...
Is my upload speed in line with what I should expect? Some people have suggested it should be a little higher based on the above figures.
PN, can you help?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
18 REPLIES 18
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre Upload Speed

It would seem you're on the low side for the upload.
Does this tester http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html give a similar result?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Andy - Yes, that one gives the same results.
I also forgot to say that all testing is done via ethernet cable directly into the TG582n FTTC router.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your upload sync is currently at 8.3mbps so its just above the minimum range for the impacted upload.
Was your service installed by a contractor or a actual Openreach engineer?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Hi Matthew,
It was installed by a Kelly Communications subcontractor.
Do you think there is something impacting the speed?
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Potentially.
What sort of work did he carry out?
I'm just wondering if the install has been done correctly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Hi Matthew,
The master socket is in a location where there is no power. I had an existing telephone extension in the computer room which he initially wanted to use as the VDSL extension. I am not a technical expert, but I understood this was not good practice (it is old 'flat' extension cable).
What I did do was run my own CAT6 cable from the area of the master socket to the computer room.
So he used one of the twisted pairs from that cable, and kroned it into the VDSL extension connector on the MK3 master socket he fitted.
At the other end, he used another MK3 socket (which I thought was unusual as the standard BT VDSL extension kit just has a RJ11 box).
So that is the setup. I did wonder if having another filter (in the extension MK3 box) would be an issue? I don't use a phone at that box, I just have the BT modem plugged into it.
I would be grateful to know your thoughts on this install.
Thanks again
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Just to add to this, I was looking at Think Broadband's chart of speed versus distance from cabinet.
Using a map application, and charting distance from my house to the cabinet (via road), I get approx 450 Mtrs.
Looking at the TBB chart, this equates to 40 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.
The downstream estimate is spot on, but I am running about half of the what the upstream estimate is.
Given that upstream and downstream run on the same copper pairs, why would I work at the downstream estimate, but not upstream? Is it to do with the frequency bands involved that are allocated to the upstream side?
Just curious.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BTOR don't seem to consider poor upstream speed much of a problem. After a whole succession of engineer visits I'm still on:
Max: Upstream rate = 1320 Kbps, Downstream rate = 26584 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1316 Kbps, Downstream rate = 25000 Kbps
Engineers visit, run their standard tests, mutter that it looks odd but find no actual defects so close it as "no fault found". PlusNet (to their credit) have pressed the issue with BTOR for many months but then the same cycle of events happens.
I have an unlocked modem and showed the engineer my bitloading spectrum (which is very odd - the main upstream band 900-1200 is completely empty) and he didn't have a clue what it was - he'd never seen one before.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I asked that question here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/newsite/f/4384604-upload-speeds-for-fibre-your-numbers.html
I am not sure I am any clearer but is certainly appears that the upstream is far more line quality dependant than downstream
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Stoker,
That does seem like a really low upload. The part that I am not understanding is why my download is within expectations whilst the upload is not.
I could understand if both were slow, but one of them?
PN have confirmed my upload sync speed to be around 8 Mbps, so I think I can (maybe) conclude that the issue is not beyond the cabinet (i.e. the issue is to my side of the cabinet).
Now to think whether and how a wiring or installation problem could affect upload and not download.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Oldjim - that is very useful information. It is quite possible that, like you say, upload is just more variable.
I am working on the assumption that if the downstream is where it should be, then the upstream should be as per the estimate. That may be a flawed analysis though.
The key question becomes - can I or should I change anything with my installation to investigate further.
Having only had it installed on Tuesday, I am not keen to start poking around this soon, but by the same token, I gather the 10 day period does not apply to FTTC.
My only other concern is whether poking around will cause DLM to drop things right down, then I have lost the speeds I now have (for a while at least).
I did receive one useful comment from another member whereby he said a BT Engineer had removed an existing filtered faceplate for the VDSL extension and just fitted an RJ11 faceplate, stating that having an extra filter can cause issues.
My installer actually fitted another MK3 box as the VDSL extension (with filter inside), so now I am not sure if that is having an effect.
I could change it for a simple RJ11 faceplate, but don't want to poke unnecessarily. I am wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this additional filtered faceplate at the VDSL extension?
Thanks.
sjptd
Grafter

Never unplug the modem to telephone connection while the modem is running.  Keep turning off/on of modem to a minimum.
I can't quite picture your setup, but if there is anything connected (eg from the RJ11 faceplate)  before the filter in the VDSL extension then could cause big issues.
Sometimes they 'backwire' so a single cable carries two pairs, an unfiltered line from RJ11 to extension, then a voice frequency filtered line back the RJ11, and that should be ok.
Also, any extensions (even unused) taken from before the filter can cause huge VDSL issues; for example from a junction box even before the RJ11.  (ring wiring)
That includes extensions for old Sky boxes, alarms, etc as well as telephone extensions.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks sjptd,
Yes, I believe one way to unplug is to click disconnect on the Technicolor then unplug the fibre router. Haven't tried it yet mind you.
Regarding my setup, the only telephone extensions connected are after the filter in the MK3 master socket. The only thing connected before the filter in the master socket is the VDSL extension (and that is kroned in to the VDSL extension terminals in the master socket). That VDSL extension runs over one of the twisted pairs of a CAT6 cable I installed.
At the other end of the VDSL extension (where I have the BT fibre router plugged in), there is another MK3 box. Not sure why the installer used that rather than the simple RJ11 box that comes with the extension kit. I don't use a telephone at that extension, but because it is another MK3 box, it has another filter in it. The VDSL connection obviously does not go through that filter, but the filter is there nonetheless as it is built into the MK3 extension. Whether that could have a negative impact, I am not sure.
There are a few things I can try...
1) Change the patch cable from the VDSL socket. The one supplied with the BT router is a flat cable. I have ordered one made with CAT5 twisted pair cable. It wasn't expensive, and I doubt it will make any difference, but I will give it a try.
2) Other option is to remove the MK3 box that is used for the VDSL extension, and replace it with a simple RJ11 box. The difference there is that I will be removing a filter from the line.
Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
sjptd
Grafter

Yes, I believe one way to unplug is to click disconnect on the Technicolor then unplug the fibre router. Haven't tried it yet mind you.  I'm pretty sure that connection from router to modem and state of the router is not important.  It is just the modem to telephone to cabinet connection that is seen by DLM and where untoward disconnections can be seen as errors and cause lower line speed and increased latency.
I am afraid I haven't any further ideas to help with your wiring setup.