Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade questions

nadeem73
Dabbler

Fibre Upgrade questions

Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but maybe someone been through process can answer. My contract is pretty much up fro renewal and i wanted to know if i upgraded to Fibre do i
1) Need a new router
2) Get the benfits of the current offers plusnet have i.e like 6 months free on 18 month contract
3) Does Fibre come with fixed ip by default seems to with BT
Also i believe an engineer visits to change the socket well at least on the 78mbps plan but i have 3 phone sockets in my new build home ideally i'd like a upstairs one and a downstairs one converted so i can  palce my router where it works best. I've found the current router  deos noit work as well wireless as the BT hub did i can't get good signal upstairs at far end of hosue and i don't live in mansion. I think it's just an inferiror router
If i do need a new router could i say get my onw i'd rather save 6 pounds if routher going to be simialr and spend on a decent router
5 REPLIES 5
shure
Grafter

Re: Fibre Upgrade questions

Hi Nadeem,
I've just upgraded today as my exchange was finally available for orders, so might be able to answer at least part of your questions:
1) This depends on what your current router is.  Be aware that ,unlike ADSL, with Fibre you get a separate modem and router, not an all-in-one-box solution.  If you have been using the previous PN supplied router, I believe you will need a new one.  I may have heard somewhere that you could also get a firmware upgrade for your ADSL one, but someone else needs to confirm that.  I already had my own Asus router (not modem) so didn't need the PN one.
2) Haggle!  Whatever you do, don't accept the first offer they make you.  I rejected my original offer (£24) and was transferred to Customer Retentions (not sure their exact title).  They offered me a further £2 off but when I said that SKY was offering a deal for £10 for the first year, followed by £20 after that (for the maximum package) they matched it.  Have to say I was a bit peeved it took me threatening to leave before they dropped the price (after saying they couldn't possibly go lower) but persevere and you should get a decent deal.
3) Can't answer this one, I'm afraid.  Won't go live for another couple of weeks (fingers crossed).
An engineer will visit but will install a modem, not a router.  You will need that.  PN offered to send me their router for free (probably because SKY did) so I thought I might as well have it as a backup.  Nothing to lose.  But you can use whichever fibre-capable router you wish and there are plenty to choose from.  You don't HAVE to have the PN one.  FWIW I have an Asus RT-N66u and it has a much better range than the previous PN one.
Good luck!
Blake
Grafter

The answer to number 3 is no,  dynamic ip is default.
You can get a permanent static IP for a one off fee of £5.99 though.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi Nadeem
Answers below
1) Do I Need a new router

YOu will get a BT Open Reach Modem FOC,  and a PN branded router / wifi access point which is actaully  not very good . It is free butyou pay £5.99 postage
Get the benfits of the current offers plusnet have i.e like 6 months free on 18 month contract
2)
Like the OP said: you will have to haggle
3) Does Fibre come with fixed ip by default seems to with BT

Nope!
Also i believe an engineer visits to change the socket well at least on the 78mbps plan but i have 3 phone sockets in my new build home ideally i'd like a upstairs one and a downstairs one converted so i can  palce my router where it works best.

I very much doubt that will be possible to convert more than one socket .  Engineer  will change the master socket to a Mk 3 master socket at one outlet only which will either be the master socket or the one first in line from the phone cable that comes into your home and the remainder will then not be ADSL or Fibre capable.

I've found the current router  deos noit work as well wireless as the BT hub did i can't get good signal upstairs at far end of hosue and i don't live in mansion. I think it's just an inferiror router
If i do need a new router could i say get my onw i'd rather save 6 pounds if routher going to be simialr and spend on a decent router

Yes you may be better buying a Fibre modem capable router . But then you will have to set it up on your own with your plus net user name and password for PPPoE . If were you I'd take the one PN offer in the first insatnce to get you up and running - then look at a fibre capable router once you have a working connection
Hope that helps!
nadeem73
Dabbler

Thanks guys for the responses been very helpful
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And when you do phone to haggle, have the competitors' deals at hand, even including a URL for the offer. My experience is that PN usually match the offer, but they won't match on extra giveaways like gift vouchers, shopping cards etc.