cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade - not happened but Current Speed on Plusnet says 80Mbps!

FIXED
ianfretwell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fibre Upgrade - not happened but Current Speed on Plusnet says 80Mbps!

Hi,

Due to upgrade to fibre today. Hasn't happened yet though.

Just wondering what would cause the profile page https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to state that my current line speed is 80Mbps when nothing has actually changed - the router (Draytek 2860ac) is still connected at my usual ADSL2+ speeds (and states it to be an ADSL2+ connection).

How late do Openreach engineers work on a Friday as I'm hoping not to be disappointed by Openreach here!  (whilst fully expecting them to get something wrong at the same time).

Is the data transfer page not actually a real reflection or is it in fact looking at somebody else's line ?

Thanks,

Ian

15 REPLIES 15
22over7
Rising Star

Re: Fibre Upgrade - not happened but Current Speed on Plusnet says 80Mbps!

@ianfretwell, (I'm not sure, but) it may be worth rebooting your router (or powering it off for 30 seconds or so, and switching it on again). Perhaps it needs to "renegotiate" with whatever is at the other end.  

ianfretwell
Grafter

Thanks for the response.   The plusnet page has been showing this since around lunchtime (didn't try earlier).

The router was rebooted about two hours ago with no change (and apparently ADSL & VDSL cannot co-exist on the line at the same time anyway).

ianfretwell
Grafter

So - as I believe has happened to somebody else recently too - it turns out that despite the order appearing to go through fine nobody bothered to actually order the service from Openreach...hence no fibre.   Not the end of the world but yet another disappointment in the wait to finally get fibre (the street cab was actually built up in December and has taken until now to get fully activated - Openreach terminated the fibre badly on the first attempt, that added another 3 month delay...catalog of errors from start to finish really, this being just another. Hey-ho...

What I do now know though is that the IP profile page stated 80Mbps regardless of my actual connection - so it shouldn't neccesarily be believed (although it is now showing 16.5Mbps again - which is sadly correct!)

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @ianfretwell,

Apologies for any confusion/inconvenience caused by the delays/error on your fibre upgrade.

I'm getting the order placed now for you and we'll aim to confirm your expected fibre activation date as soon as we receive confirmation from our suppliers.

Thank you for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

No problem Harry - thanks for the update.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Further to my previous response I've now been able to provide a confirmed date for when the order is expected to complete.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Thanks again Harry.

I know there'll be nothing you can do about it but it is quite disappointing to have ordered initially on the 17th June and been given an activation date of only 6 days later - to now be told it's going to be a further 15 days!

Do you get any further explanation from Openreach on why it's suddenly pushed so far back at all?

Thanks,

Ian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@ianfretwell wrote:
disappointing to have ordered initially on the 17th June and been given an activation date of only 6 days later

I'm afraid the person who advised you this was completely wrong and unfortunately doesn't appear to have actually checked for an order.

Feedback has been passed on regarding the person who advised you this.

The minimum lead time for a fibre order is 5 working days (7 calendar days) and no order had actually been placed.

Further to this, when placing a fibre order, it's not uncommon for the confirmed date to come back later than the minimum lead time due to engineer availability to complete the work.

@ianfretwell wrote:

Do you get any further explanation from Openreach on why it's suddenly pushed so far back at all?

In this situation there was nothing for them to explain, this was a Plusnet error where the order was not placed until I picked this up yesterday Undecided

As way of an apology for the delays on this, I'd be happy to offer you half price broadband on your next bill. Let me know if you'd be happy to accept this and I'll get that applied to your account for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Hi Harry,

That would be very much appreciated - many thanks.

At the risk of sounding cheeky, this would be over and above the refund for the fibre price I'm already paying now (or at least I think I am)?

Thanks,
Ian
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@ianfretwell wrote:
the fibre price I'm already paying now (or at least I think I am)?

Just to clarify, we've not actually charged you for fibre yet. Your first fibre payment will be on your next billing date, 9 days after your upgrade to fibre is expected to complete, so technically you'll also have those 9 days of fibre at the ADSL cost as we bill in advance.

While there won't be any refunds for over charges, as we'll only be charging for ADSL during the first 9 days of your fibre, the next bill would have half price fibre if you accept the offer.

I hope this clears things up.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

That's fine then Harry...it was the initial responses to my original query that talked about refunds, your answer makes perfect sense so thats fine. Fingers crossed it al goes OK.

Ian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Ian, I've got that applied to your account for you now.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ianfretwell
Grafter

Hi Harry,

Hopefully you're still monitoring this thread..

Upgrade happened yesterday (admittedly 'yesterday' being only half an hour ago..) at around 12:30 - upload speeds increased immediately - download speeds however are exactly the same as they've always been (approx 16Mbps) - I assume the relevant change hasn't taken place at the PlusNet end as the router is now syncing at approx 62Mbps and 12 hours later the downloads speed is still the same as ADSL2+.

Hopefully this can be rectified nice and quickly.

Thanks,

Ian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Could you try disconnecting and reconnecting your router please, as you're on a static IP it may have just been the speed profile on your account being set off a delta report that was generated while the connection was still ADSL.

I've bumped this up for you and believe you should now see an increase in speeds after reconnecting Thumbs_Up

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet