cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade - How soon after install will speed increase?

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Fibre Upgrade - How soon after install will speed increase?

Just had my fibre unlimited installed today and according to the Portal.plus line checker my line can carry 21 Mbps
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 21Mb and 21Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-13 16:33:56
Current line speed:
1.9 Mb
However, my speed is now slower than normal broadband and SpeedTest.net reports the following
1.79 Mbps Down
1.84 Mbps Up
Previously with normal broadband my speeds were:
5.17 Mbps Down
0.37 Mbps Up
I know the speed can fluctuate over the first few days but shouldn't I be seeing higher speeds to begin with? Surely they should be fast than my old broadband speeds?
Unfortunately I can't plug my desktop directly into the router as they're on separate floors, i.e. PC upstairs, router downstairs. I'm using TP-Link Power Line adapters to make my connection which usually give me very good connection speeds.
5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fibre Upgrade - How soon after install will speed increase?

Contact Plusnet by either phone or chat and ask them to check if everything has been competed.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Yes everything was completed according to the emails i received
HOWEVER!
I just did an on-line chat with Jake and he told me straight away that he could see the problem and to reset my router and all would be solved. Of course being the curious type I asked what the problem was and he informed me that it was a 'Speed Profile' incorrectly set at their end.
I just followed his advice and have now done another speed test and it's rocketing along!!!!!!  Cheesy
SpeedTest.Net now reports the following:
37.43 Mbps Down
1.87 Mbps Up
Makes me wonder if this is the cause for other complaints on speed issues for new customers?  Roll_eyes
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It is a frequent issue and hence my advice.
No point not getting them to check as the back office system isn't very good and the texts get sent out even when things haven't completed successfully.
Glad it was this simple issue and things are now good for you.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Makes me wonder if this is the cause for other complaints on speed issues for new customers?

Sadly it does happen from time to time. However, what is heartening are several recent reports of people EASILY making contact with customer suport, either via chat or the 'phone. Maybe, just maybe, PN has turned the corner & is returning to its former glories.  Smiley
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Well I'm certainly a happy Plusnet customer today and won't hesitate to recommend them. In fact had I not recommended my sister a while back we wouldn't even be having this conversation. When my sister told me she was getting 21 Mbps I asked Plusnet if I could get an upgrade and the nice man on the phone upgraded me there and then giving me fibre for 2 years at just £10 p/month, now that's what I call service with a smile.  Grin