cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre US Speed Upgrade

tiffy
Rising Star

Fibre US Speed Upgrade

Further to the recent announcement that the existing 38/2 Mbps. VDSL service is being upgraded to 38/10 Mbps. with new customers being immediately supplied with the new service and existing customer upgrades starting this month, November.

What is the criteria for the rollout of the US speed upgrade to existing 38/2 Mbps. customers, alphabetical, regional ?

When can we expect the upgrade to be complete ?

10 REPLIES 10
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Fibre US Speed Upgrade

General view seems to be it will be complete by the end of November.

I would image the upgrade is being done on the OpenReach connections one by one (not certain of the technical name for the "pipes" to OR). As any customer could be on any connection I'm guessing it's pot luck as to when you receive the upgrade.

Brian

tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Can any staff member elaborate further ?

I run DSLStats on my router 24/7 to MDWS so will certainly be aware when the upgrade does occur.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Not sure what you expect PlusNet to say apart from what they have already divulged, the upgrade requires them to place an order for each customer to change the product to 40/10 (sync speeds) with BT openreach, possibly via BT wholesale and they expect these to have been actioned by the end of November, because that's when Openreach's special offer of free (to the ISP) upgrades expires.

tiffy
Rising Star

To the best of my knowledge BTW have never offered a 40/2 package, US synch. rate has been a minimum of 10 Mbps., the current free upgrade for BT Infinity 1 customers is 55/10 to 80/20.
(I'am sure someone will correct me if I'am wrong)

I'am sure that I have read on one of the forums, here, kitz or TBB that the 2 Mbps. US synch. limit is directly imposed by Plusnet through their system, as such there should not be any requirement for BTW/OR intervention to remove the limit.
Again, I'am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

Either way, I will just wait patiently until it happens as I'am sure it will in it's own time.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Openreach and BTWholesale do indeed have a 40/2 service. Perhaps you were confusing things with Plusnet's old 40/20, which was 80/20 with the download speed limited by Plusnet to 40.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

OpenReach have 5 VDSL packages which BT Wholesale sell to ISP's. Can't remember all 5 but certainly 40/2 & 40/10 are among them.

The move to 40/10 is almost certainly due to Ofcom's decision to drastically cut the OpenReach price of the 40/10 product. Can't remember the figures but the new price is barely above the 40/2 price.

Brian

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I didn't think Ofcom had made any final decision yet, and even if they do, the charge controls won't come into force for some time. I think the proposed future regulated 40/10 charge is actually much lower than the current 40/2 charge, I think it's about the same as ADSL2+ charges.

tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks to both for the further responses, I'am obviously not very well informed on the subject and do appreciate the enlightenment from the more experienced forum members.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I would say that the move to 40/10 from 40/2 is more likely due to BTW's offering of free upgrades.

Plusnet also gain some brownie points Cheesy

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It's only the one-off making of the change that's currently free. 40/10 still has a higher ongoing cost than 40/2. Competition from what other providers are doing is probably a big factor. I haven't checked if any changes to how speeds are allowed to be advertised affects upload speeds. At least at one time, the 2Mbps upload was fairly well hidden.