cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre TG582n vs ADSL TG582n

marshmarlow

Fibre TG582n vs ADSL TG582n

I have just upgraded to fibre, to be installed next week, and I have just received the new router and it seems to be exactly the same hardware! The only difference is a red sticker under port 1 of the router...could i not have just updated the firmware on the router?
it seems a bit of a waste really... I now have a 3 month old ADSL router i don't need that is pretty much brand new and really only of use to plusnet users. Unfortunately my home refuse collection does not accept electrical items so i am going to now have to drive to the tip to recycle this 3 month old router or, more likely as that will cost me in fuel, just dump it in the general waste bin and send it to land fill... or actually add it to my draw of past ADSL routers for previous suppliers.
unless any other forum user needs a new adsl router... ill only charge £4.99 for delivery... bargain!
14 REPLIES 14
petecov44
Grafter

Re: Fibre TG582n vs ADSL TG582n

It's different. This router only does authentication it does not do sync with the exchange. The red Ethernet cable goes to the BT Openreach Modem which deals with it all.
I tried an ADSL router with the BTO box and it does not work.
You can also make a PPPoE connection directly from PC to the BTO box and not use the router if you wish. Well they had me do that last week when I was on the phone, didn't work for me and I didn't even know the BTO HG612 could do that.. If it can why do they even bother sending the TG582N out.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The FTTC 582n firmware can be installed onto a 582n originally supplied for ADSL. The 10.2.5.2 firmware can be used with the openreach VDSL2 modem and can also be re-configured for use on ADSL. So yes, you could have avoided getting another 582n.
Other differences between the different firmwares are the non-USB firmwares have USB related settings disabled and hidden from the interface, but you can just switch off the relevant services if you are using a USB enabled firmware on a 582n that doesn't have a physical USB port.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: marshmarlow

it seems a bit of a waste really... I now have a 3 month old ADSL router i don't need that is pretty much brand new and really only of use to plusnet users.

It can be used with other ISP so you could sell it on a auction site or give it away, there's a lot about so you wouldn't get much for it.
You could use it to improve the wifi signal in other parts of the house.
see http://npr.me.uk/together.html
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Or ask PN for a prepaid bag and send it back.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

as ejs says, the hardware will support the latest firmware, so just flash it with 10.2.5.2 and keep it as a spare!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

marshmarlow

so where do i get hold of the firmware then?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I signed up for Plusnet FTTC this morning (Yay!!! No more slow primus!!), and I checked to see what equipment I'd need to get started on the signup page, and it asked if what I had was compatible, and based on the info that was offered there I deemed that what I had wasn't so added the £5.99 P&P for a new "router", afterwards I looked about to find out the info on what hardware I'm getting (I'm a semi-techie person, I need to know irrelevant things!!) so I can be ready to set it all up, but it turned out I'm replacing my Primus-supplied Technicolor TG582n with a Plusnet-supplied Technicolor TG582n, how to confuse new users or what!!!  Huh
Noting in this thread that the firmwares can be replaced or upgraded, it seems a bit daft that I'm being sent the same cheap (worth £40?? Now THAT'S yorkshire optimism!!) DSL modem-router (even if the DSL modem part is not enabled) to replace the old one which works, but to add to the sillyness, my ol' faithful D-Link DIR-615 (supplied by VM a number of years ago, much better WiFi capabilities than the TG582n could ever dream of) can replace BOTH units altogether and connect directly to the BT-supplied FTTC modem when it's fitted and operate the PPPoE by itself, so I spent £5.99 P&P on a device that'll join it's twin in my junk drawer cos I won't need either of them!!! Roll_eyes
A confusing start already to my time with Plusnet, hopefully everything else is uphill from here! Smiley
petecov44
Grafter

not confusing really. If the primus one allows PPPoE connections you don't need another one - but if it's locked by firmware to them when you will need one. I assume also Primus is LLU? in which case it will get its info from the network (like Plusnet's TR69 does) but for example - Sky used to do a router which you would put your username in but it would only authenticate on Sky and on their network.
I always advise people to get the free router - after all you are in an 18 month contract and it's always good to have a spare. I don't use mine either I use a load balancer which  takes my PN username and password. But when I worked at PN the sheer amount of faults that were down to hardware (mixed with people complaining that they would have to wait 3 days to get another) means it always pays to have a spare.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It may not be possible to flash the plusnet 582n firmware on to a 582n from another ISP. Firstly, there are different hardware models of 582n, the DANT-1 model has "dual-bank" flash (it has twice the amount of flash memory, so it can hold 2 complete firmware images, so that the one not in use can be easily upgraded). Plusnet supply the DANT-T model which has less flash memory. The firmwares for those two models are not interchangeable. Secondly, another ISP's 582n may not allow firmware from any other providers to be loaded onto it.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: petecov44
not confusing really. If the primus one allows PPPoE connections you don't need another one - but if it's locked by firmware to them when you will need one. I assume also Primus is LLU? in which case it will get its info from the network (like Plusnet's TR69 does) but for example - Sky used to do a router which you would put your username in but it would only authenticate on Sky and on their network.

Yes, Primus (now called Fuel Internet or something similar) is an LLU, and the modem itself is not locked to them as I can use any generic modem on the service, just needs a user & pass and everything works (I used an ancient Draytek ADSL modem router for a week to test whether it was the Technicolor modem being slow as a constipated snail or the supplied being service, t'was the latter), the modem itself has no custom branding or anything relating to Primus aside from the user & pass, and I have fiddled with its settings many times to date without any custom-firmware restrictions, and if all it needed was a firmware reflash to use with Plusnet, I could have just done that myself, not that I need to considering the D-Link router will do the work instead, as I prefer to use it... Smiley
Like I say, the shiny new Plusnet one'll remain in the junk drawer, but, being allocated space in said drawer with another identical piece of hardware (bar logos and firmware) is a bit on the daft side considering e-waste is a big problem in this day and age, re-use of used but perfectly functional hardware is better than replacing like-for-like when it's not needed, might be worth starting a refurb program where new users send off their old modems either back to the former ISP or to the new ISP for re-use as replacement stock, it happens across the pond in this manner (for example, Bell-Ontera in North Bay, Ontario, does this), saves the ISP money, and keeps E-waste to a minimum... Smiley
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: ejs
Plusnet supply the DANT-T model which has less flash memory.

Well, there you go, mine's a DANT-T (Presently running software version 8.4.4.I), so even more reason why it's replacement is a bit pointless!! Smiley
taras
Grafter

whats the difference between the EO and FO?  Cheesy
Plusnet - FTTC - TG582n (with USB port) - 10.2.5.2.EO
Plusnet - FTTC - TG582n (with USB port) - 10.2.5.2.FO
taras
Grafter