cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Sudden strange disconnects, BT engineer visit, 10 day training period....

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre Sudden strange disconnects, BT engineer visit, 10 day training period....

You have to use a filter to connect to the test socket so the phone can also be connected.

Jcdek
Grafter

Re: Fibre Sudden strange disconnects, BT engineer visit, 10 day training period....

Thanks for the reply but I do not have any filters since I've had dual split faceplates for many years now I've had no need for them.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You will need to get one, you can't plug an RJ11 cable into a telephone socket - they are easy to get hold of, essential to eliminate internal issues and don't cost much. Certainly a lot cheaper that the £65 you could get charged if an engineer gets called out and finds its a problem with your wiring or equipment.

Jcdek
Grafter

I am already connected to the test socket as stated earlier with the router. This with an RJ11 to BT plug adaptor. It's essentially the same as the filter but without the BT plug socket.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I feel this could be your issue.  Although "essentially" they might look the same, it may be knackering something up somewhere. Specifically if you receive a phone call, that adaptor will likely not filter out the lower frequencies.  Invest in a proper filter, and get that stuck in the test socket.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Jcdek
Grafter

@notmyname

Can you please explain your response more as it makes no sense to me. Huh

I have a dual filter faceplate on the master socket. The BT phone is connected to the BT phone socket on the faceplate, the Router connected to the RJ11 socket on the faceplate. The problem of the intermittent dropouts had started in this configuration.

Then BT replaced the filtered faceplate with another one. No change.

Faceplate then removed, and router plugged directly into the test socket via RJ11 (from router) to BT plug adaptor (to test socket).

Currently since yesterday (and since using the above adaptor) there has been no drop outs.

Jcdek
Grafter

@Waz @MasterOfReality @Gandalf

In the test socket since yesterday.

Drop at 09.30 this morning. SNR on downstream sudden drop.

Jcdek
Grafter

I have just returned from the shop having bought a new splitter for the test socket so phone and broadband now running again in the test socket. The drop out just now was me disconnecting the adaptor to fit the splitter in its place. The drop out at 09.30 this morning was however as a result of the downstream SNR drop.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Jcdek

I think the next step is heading towards another engineer visit.

If you can reply to your ticket I've just updated now with your availability giving us a nudge over here once you've done so we'll be happy to get the appointment booked in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet