Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Streaming

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fibre Streaming

I'm a bit confused with the streaming results I'm getting with 40/20 fibre. I'm getting buffering on Iplayer and my Sky On Demand downloads are really slow. Just as slow as I had on standard ADSL I would say. Shouldn't things be better? My speeds are below :

Edit - Btw I'm using the PlusNet fibre router and ECI Openreach modem and my devices are LAN cabled to the PlusNet router. Wireless is off.
10 REPLIES 10
StuartUK35
Grafter

Re: Fibre Streaming

I raised a similar issue on here a while back....
I get 70mb down with 17mb up, yet when uploading through a cloud app, it was capping me at 2mb, instead of the 17mb I should get....
I asked on here to remove the stealth/hidden traffic shape, but am told there is none......
Strange eh !  
**to note:
The cloud is my own, so the client was a virgin 50mb, and a PlusNet ADSL 13mb, either machine that downloaded data from me was capped at 2mb, or 232kb a sec, same applies when using FTP, max out at 273kb a sec **
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

with regards to the cloud upload, it's more than likely that it is the cloud service itself that impose bandwidth limiting for QoS.
as for the OP, sky on-demand services impose a bandwidth limit so it will only get so fast and then top out - it's well below what your 38Mbps connection is able to handle.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So it sounds like a lot of the time if you have a decent fibre ds rate a lot of servers won't be prepared to give you that kind of bandwidth anyway?

I wonder about what the Pro add-on does and whether it's worth having? CS always seem to say to me take it off as I don't need it when I speak to them. But if you want snappy browsing and good streaming maybe it might be worth having even on fibre?
chenks76
All Star

correct, you are at the mercy of what the servers are able (or willing) to give out.
QoS has to be applied for services like those.
the pro add-on would make no difference in this situation as it is not a plusnet restriction.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@woodm
I've just made a few checks and ran some diagnostics and can't see an obvious reason from our POV why you might be seeing those issues.
It might be worth as a test connecting a PC straight to the modem, bypassing the router just to rule that out of the equation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
southerner
Aspiring Pro

It seems to be quite stable at the moment Adam. Maybe it's just the settling in period. I will do as you mentioned and post back though if it happens again.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Just picking up on the router can I use any router as my fibre router? (the one that plugs into the Openreach one) I have a BTHH3 and Netgear DGN1000 in the cupboard.
chenks76
All Star

the original point still stands though, especially with sky on-demand.
sky limit the bandwidth available so you'll never get anywhere near your max fibre downstream rate when using it.
tonycollinet
Grafter

They'll not be limiting it to the point it buffers though. Or at least, they shouldn't
chenks76
All Star

Sky On-demand doesn't suffer from buffering at all, as it's not a streaming service, but a progressive download system.