cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Stability

shure
Grafter

Fibre Stability

I've recently upgraded to FTTC and, while I'm very happy with the improved speeds over my old 20CN line, I've noticed that I'm getting a new IP address far more often than I ever used to before.  I used to be able to run a TBB monitor with my ADSL connection which would happily run for weeks but my fibre one doesn't last longer than a few hours, making it pretty pointless.
I must have had at least 8 new connections since Monday (since my fibre was installed.  At least two, possibly three of those were my own doing as I rebooted the modem when I found myself on a slow gateway and also when my product was moved from 40/2 to 80/20.  But that leaves at least four or five new connections in the last few days.  Is this normal for fibre and/or the OR modem?
12 REPLIES 12
shure
Grafter

Re: Fibre Stability

Anybody?
AndyH
Grafter

It's hard to say without knowing whether you're losing sync to the cabinet or it's just your Plusnet connection dropping. Normally though you shouldn't see frequent disconnects.
Has your IP Profile changed at all?
shure
Grafter

Hi AndyH, thanks for your reply.
My IP profile has remained fairly constant at around 63Mbps.  I say "around" as I think it was 64 yesterday but can't be sure.
My line's been stable for the last 48 hours, the longest so far, and I've been recording consistent speeds of c62.5 down and 14 up, which I'm quite happy with (especially as my original estimate was 54 down).  But just after 4pm this afternoon it seems my IP address reset again and now I'm recording only 17.6 down and 12.81 up.  Before I was on 37.152.xxx.x and now I'm on 91.125.xxx.x.  Not happy with current speed that's for sure
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Dont reboot the modem to get a new gateway only the router, rebooting the modem like that can make DLM think you have a issue and intervene by adding interleaving or banding which knocks speed off.
that said you shouldn't be dropping connection like you are so something isn't right
Go here run the test ignore the red writing, http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
when it's complete pick further diagnostics enter your phone number and copy & paste what it says
then go here  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ;     login to your account and  it will state what your current line speed is set to on plusnets end so post that here to
the above could give some indication as to whether your dropping sync to the fibre cab or just the session to plusnet.
shure
Grafter

Thanks.  Here's the BT test:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
17.6 Mbps

0 Mbps 63.13 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  44.19 Mbps-63.13 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 63.13 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
12.81 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.81Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
My current line speed according to PlusNet is 63Mbps, which to be fair I was getting until this afternoon
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case can you run the TBB speedtest and report back
shure
Grafter

oh and thanks for the disconnection tip.  I did switch the modem off the last few times (not today) but made sure I waited at least ten minutes before switching it on again.  It's been stable the last 48hrs or so but gone AWOL again today.  My ADSL line used to hold on for weeks.
If it doesn't self correct soon I'll reboot the router, but even if it does e.g. get me on a better gateway I'm still curious as to why it disconnects as often as it does
shure
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
well the speedtest reports the following:

and I've just run the BT test again which shows:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
60.26 Mbps

0 Mbps 63.13 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 60.26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 44.19 Mbps-63.13 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 63.13 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
12.6 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.6Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
...so I can only guess that it was a temporary thing.  Happy the speed seems to have corrected itself but why would I have such fluctuations and instability?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You may have noticed this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.0.html which is exactly what you are seeing
shure
Grafter

Thanks.  I can understand speed issues if there is congestion (although the spikes seem extraordinarily high) but I don't quite get why I lose connection altogether.  I used to have speed fluctuations on ADSL too but I would hold connection for weeks, if not months, at a time
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

At least the issue of the disconnections isn't down to the modem loosing sync with the cab as the profiles are as they should be ie both in the 60Mb+ range so that's very good news means no actual speed lose, seems to me that the issue lies with the router not being able to keep session for some weird reason, I assume it's the Plusnet one ?
you could try a factory reset on it see if that sorts out anything  if it doesn't then I would ask plusnet for a replacement it shouldn't be dropping session like that. 

shure
Grafter

No, it's an Asus RT-N66U, my own router.  I don't understand why I had sessions lasting for weeks on ADSL but a maximum of two days on fibre?  The only thing that's changed is the modem, so wouldn't that more likely be the issue than the router?