Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speeds Drop Drastically During Peak Times

Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fibre Speeds Drop Drastically During Peak Times

Hi, I joined plusnet just over 2 months ago on there 76mb unlimited extra package with a guaranteed minimum download speed of 49mb.

My download speed over wireless was around 46mb to 49mb which I was extremely pleased with, now suddenly my peak time speeds have dropped drastically down to 14mb-20mb, my upload speed has not been effected and remains a constant 18mb.

I understand that peak time speeds can drop considerably but I now can't stream my Netflix ultra as it needs a minimum of 25mb, this was the reason I signed up for the unlimited 76mb package.

I feel that this is just to much of a drop in speed even for the busiest peak times and is over 60% below my minimum guaranteed speed and unacceptable.

It seems a familar pattern is happening with every ISP, they give you a good speeds for the first few months and then the a drastic drop.

Please can you check my profile, over subscribed cabinet or anything that could be causing this, thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Speeds Drop Drastically During Peak Times

wifi could be interference from electrical devices that people around are using. What are your wired speeds like at these times?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

What does the DSL checker say for your line?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you think there's a problem speed checks should always be carried out on a wired connection to eliminate any wireless problems. You could have a good speed to the router from PlusNet and then local circumstances outwith the control of PlusNet cause the wireless speed to drop.

Brian

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Sorry for delay replying, it's just peak times again, no other wireless devices, corded phone, at all other times I get a good wireless speed.

Just wondered if other people have the same drop in speed on 76mb extra package at peak times. I was with Vodafone before joining plusnet and they let me go because my peak time speeds would drop to 2-5mb at peak times on there 38mb package, spent 12 weeks running speed tests etc before they admitted it was there end and there was nothing they could do.

Only have android phone at moment, all test over WiFi off peak are good, it's just peak times again, thanks for replies.
mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

electrical devices and other wireless devices from your neighbours could be interfering with your wifi speeds though, not just wifi devices in your house. Peak times could be when all your neighbours are home and using someting interfering with your WiFi

Have you tried changing channels?

Also, if you can only do wireless, try changing the SSID of the 5Ghz to something different to 2.4Ghz and connect to both and see if they differ.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Hi, I always monitor all wireless networks in range, check inference and choose the best channel.
There is no one around me on the 5GHz, just 2.5GHz, the drop is the same on both frequencies.

I understand that people get home and use there network devices but honestly I've done this all before with wired and 5GHz wireless devices, and it is not that, it's just peak time speed, it's a over subscribed cabinet I believe, thanks for reply.