Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed

superuser
Grafter

Fibre Speed

Currently my router shows:

Connected : Down Stream : 45352Kbps / Up Stream : 12796Kbps

From my PlusNet account I get:

Telephone number:01539736*** Phone exchange:KENDAL Estimated line speed:77Mb (This may vary between 58.3Mb and 77.8Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-20 14:07:29 Current line speed:78 Mb

Plugged in to the master socked

Dratek Router

I was expecting better than this really?

Only moved in 2 weeks ago, but thought it might have settled by now?

Any ideas

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Fibre Speed

Hi there,

My tests are showing your router in sync below the estimated speed for your line.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.8 Mbps

Things are pointing towards a line fault.

Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

Testing the line itself has identified a possible Earth Contact on the line. I've reported this through to Openreach now.  We'd expect an update within the next 48 hours. Our faults team will follow up via this ticket

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

Wow

So BT came the same day I mention this here!

Glad a I came back to PN again after my house move.

The fault is outside underground somewhere. They have to get someone else to pin point it with a view to digging to it. They think water is getting in

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear of the speedy response time from Openreach.

It looks like the fault report has been assigned to their engineering teams today as well.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

I have received confirmation that the fault is now fixed.

As for the issue with speed, I may have to wait and see. My router is still showing similar sync to before, but I didn't disconnect and reconnect yet, just wanted to let it settle down for a week and then try. There has been far too much on/off with openreach playing with it.

I'll report back soon with an update

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

My tests are still detecting a fault. I've raised this once more with Openreach.

We'd expect an update within the next 48 hours. Fingers crossed it's looked at quickly again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

I can just confirm that the sync has dropped a little more
We are not actually using the telephone, only the Internet so can't comment
General browsing is OK but some in the house complain of lousy gaming experience
Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It doesn't look like the fault report has been looked at yet by Openreach.

We should receive an update by Thursday.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

Openreach came and went on Wednesday and apparently turned up again yesterday (Friday), I was out.

Anyway, they keep coming up with different earthing faults and the engineer yesterday said he needs to access the line where it comes in to the property, but it requires lifting some block paving and they don't do that, but use contractors.

Anyway, PN also messaged me asking me to book an engineer appointment.

Honestly though I'm not entirely sure there isn't some mixup. I got the old 'it will cost you speech, if the fault is in your property' and an engineer is booked for Tuesday AM.

But they already checked the property line and stuff twice, all without me even asking, and without the 'it will cost you' blah.

I think what thy actually want to do is connect to the line at point of entry and check back up the line.

The BT original master is in the Living Room, but I'm quite happy for them to put a new one in the hall, where the BT line hits the house.

Please make sure the booked engineer is not wasting his time, checking my Master Socket again. What we are after is what the engineer said yesterday, to begin access to the point of entry.

Thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow?

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

Interestingly, the engineer reported that the performance at some part of the Cabinet was questionable.

We did find the BT line in on the outside of the house was poor and damp. This was repaired.

The engineer also questioned the possible speeds for my line based on PN estimation, saying I might only get 50 down at best.

Strange because I'm half the distance from the Cab compared to my previous home, that ran reliably in high 60's down.

I guess I'll let things settle down,  but I'd like to know that the Cabinet was performing properly, which apparently it wasn't.

Currently

Connected : Down Stream : 47756Kbps / Up Stream : 14332Kbps

superuser
Grafter

I should add too. 

Regarding the cabinet, the engineer made a test there, direct to it and said he should be getting 150, but it was actually only pushing 90. He also connected a 600m cable, a new roll to check what was coming out on that distance and it was around what my current rate is quoted above.

So he mentioned so stuff that should be checked in the cabinet but that he wasn't out to fix it, because he was looking at getting the line fault clear, which we think it now is.

He suggested I report a broadband fault to have an engineer look at the issue in the cabinet, you guys may know more about what he means. But can we please get it looked at.

Thanks for the great support

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd recommend making sure your router is in the test socket as explained here and if your speed doesn't change, please report a broadband fault to us here and let us know once you've completed it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superuser
Grafter

I did all this and I think it's logged a fault post test

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looks like one of my colleagues in the faults team is testing your line and working on your fault today.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.