cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed

Grafter

Fibre Speed

Got an e mail from plusnet about my BB speed as its been 14 days since activation. Plusnet say i get 38Mbps. Naw, try 22 Sad Connected wireless two devices on. New filter in main socket and 10 feet from router. 

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre Speed

PN will tell you its a UP to speed , not 100% guaranteed .

have you tried it with wired test ? on here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Grafter

Thanks rongtw. I would never have noticed this had you not said try wired. I get almost the fill 38Mbps when wired. Decided to try the laptop in the spare room what is further away and got 36Mbps (Wireless) and that laptop is a lot newer so it must be this old Dell Inspiron 1545 having older wireless card or something along those lines. The card does come out so i will look into if it can be changed for something newer as i love this old laptop. I would be in mourning if i was to lose it Smiley 

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The card does come out so i will look into if it can be changed for something newer as i love this old laptop. I would be in mourning if i was to lose it Smiley 

If you can't get a new card, USB WiFi dongles are cheap these days. Something like this (plucked at random from Amazon). Look for one that does 802.11n .

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you have a lot of neighbours using WiFi it may be worth while considering a dual band adapter as the 5Ghz band tends to be less congested.

Grafter

Funny i was on Amazon looking at internal cards as it looks like i can upgrade that for around £12. Yet to look on ebay but that little one in the link will be getting purchased for a wireless keyboard i have but lost the little dongle. I do have an dual band dongle (Netgear) Its to fat to use on two usb as they are so close to the power lead so using it just now at the other side but that is the end i put the laptop down on at the side of my chair. You just know its an accident waiting to happen. Cheesy Anyway, temporarily sorted just now till i get an internal so cheers guys, great help.