cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed

elgress

Fibre Speed

Hi there,
I recently had fibre installed a couple of days ago. The BT engineer installed everything and set it up, whilst testing the modem, he mentioned that my line was capable of getting around 30mbps if changed to a 40mbit setup. He said that I should get in touch with my ISP (PlusNet (BT)) and ask to be moved up. At the moment, I'm syncing at around 21668kbps download and 1173kbps upload. The package I'm signed up for is up to 38/1.9 fibre package.
Many thanks,
Eleanor
4 REPLIES 4
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Speed

Quote from: elgress
he mentioned that my line was capable of getting around 30mbps if changed to a 40mbit setup.
That's an odd thing for him to say to a fibre customer.
The package I'm signed up for is up to 38/1.9 fibre package.
Well then, you're already on the package that the engineer recommended. Technically it's 'up to 40Mb/s' but the stupid ASA insist that ISP call it 'up to 38Mb/s'.
Basically the engineer was talking rubbish. There are only two download speeds available with fibre broadband. 'Up to 80' and 'up to 40'. In both cases the 'up to' refers to the maximum speed that your line can support. You are currently on the lowest package 'up to 40' . What this means is your line will be allowed to connect at 40Mb/s or as close as it can get. You are currently connected at 22Mb/s. Your current package would allow your line to go faster if it could but since it can't that's probably that.
It might be worth waiting for someone from PN to pick up this thread and check if there might be a fault but it sounds like you're on the right package to me.
elgress

Quote from: Andrue
Well then, you're already on the package that the engineer recommended. Technically it's 'up to 40Mb/s' but the stupid ASA insist that ISP call it 'up to 38Mb/s'.

Yes, I'm well aware of that and I'm ecstatic to finally be on fibre and quite pleased with the current speeds. I only chose to make this thread based on the advice of the engineer. It was my impression that it was worth asking, just in case.
I did find it odd that he mentioned it, I'd have though that he wouldn't want to suggest that I could get a faster speed than estimated at the time of purchase. He made it clear though, that it was worth asking PlusNet/BT if it could go higher as he thought it could reach speeds of 30mbps if changed.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests aren't showing any issues I'm afraid.
The estimated distance from the cabinet to your property is about 1600 metres and your estimated speeds have been updated to reflect this.
FTTC Range A (Clean) 16.5 10 1.2 0.8
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 12.1 4.1 1.2 0.5
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
elgress

Quote from: Matthew
Our tests aren't showing any issues I'm afraid.

Just to clarify, I've got no issues at all and I'm happy with the speed. I just thought it was worth checking out and seeing if there was any upgrade possible (based on the BT engineer's advice).