cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed

Loon
Grafter

Fibre Speed

I have just switched to fibre and for the last 24 hours I am getting speeds slower than my old connection. Is this normal?
17 REPLIES 17
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Fibre Speed

Hello,
Hopefully a member of staff will pick this up this morning, as it seems you are still on ADSL IP profile.  When corrected a swift disconnect via router will hopefully fix it  Wink
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

This changed the other day, so if you just drop the connection you should see the new speeds.
Please login and disconnect/re-connect rather than rebooting the router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Loon
Grafter

Ok thanks for the help/info.
I am at work until 17:00 so I will give that a go when I get home and fingers crossed.
Loon
Loon
Grafter

Right done the disconnect and reconnect and also rebooted modem and router as suggested on the fibre help guide.
According to Think Broadband and BT speed checker I an still only getting a 5M download speed.
With a new Fibre line is there a checking period like ADSL?
Loon
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You should get the speeds pretty much straight away really. However I have just noticed that a step was missed on your account, I've just fixed that. Can you try disconnecting again and connect back in.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Loon
Grafter

Thanks Chris
I have tried that but no difference with BT Speedtester still showing 5.77 down 0.46 up.
Also tried a download from Steam which was at 600kb/s which is correct for a 5M connection  Sad

Rob
Loon
Grafter

I have just had a chat with Pete on your helpdesk and he has comfirmed my profile was still set at 11M  :(.
Fingers crossed he has changed it and it will work this time.
Rob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you try the BT speedtester again but this time use the Further Diagnostics step as something is seriously adrift given the reported upload speed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It was definitely set at 32800 when I checked yesterday, which tallied with the sync speed.
The reason it was at 11000 is because your line is now syncing at 11.4 Mbps, so the profile was correct.
Unfortunately we can't just reset a line remotely on fibre, so we need to go through a fault to investigate. Can you open one here: https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Loon
Grafter

@Oldjim
I have tried that but I get a message that they are unable to do the test due to a problem.:
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 5.74 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 0.83 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
@Chris
I have opened a ticket.
Rob
Loon
Grafter

Nice BT man says the line is fine and it must be your equipment that is causing the slow speed.
Rob
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Did he share the speed tests that he did? or show you any tests at all?
We won't have his report yet, but it should be added onto the ticket when we get them. If required, we'll escalate the case.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Loon
Grafter

I think it was 38 down and 11 up.
Rob
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Those are in line with what we'd expect for your line.
What results do you get over a wired connection?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team