Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed "cap" ?

wholeshow
Hooked

Fibre Speed "cap" ?

Hi,

Like some others, my current downstream is around 12-13Mbps, can't be a coincidence that they're all this number Smiley

I understand the whole capacity thing, but there has been no transparency and I doubt Plusnet are going to amend our bills to be 1/5 of the price as well.

My contract is due for renewal, couldn't have come at a better time Smiley

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Fibre Speed "cap" ?

@wholeshow wrote:

Hi,

Like some others, my current downstream is around 12-13Mbps, can't be a coincidence that they're all this number Smileyl.

I wish some-one would explain this ever circulating conspiracy theory to me.

Can you explain why Plusnet, who, like the majority of other ISPs out there supplying FTTC broadband, are a reseller or BT services, think it a good idea to deliberately reduce your speed by 80%.

Or maybe it is a coincidence and there's a problem some-where that you could start to investigate yourself? You might not find that the grass is always greener on the other side.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wholeshow
Hooked

Well,

You can call them  'conspiracy theories' if you like, but there is no smoke without fire.

As for needing an explanation as to why then, I am not sure if you have noticed but we have a pandemic on our hands here.

It will be because of capacity and people working from home.

I had never had a problem with Plusnet until days ago, a family member the same. Current Downstream is almost exactly identical give or take a few kbps.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If Plusnet were capping everyone would be affected and they are not, there is no smoke or fire.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@wholeshow wrote:

As for needing an explanation as to why then, I am not sure if you have noticed but we have a pandemic on our hands here.

It will be because of capacity and people working from home.

Nice "theory", but the reality is that although the lockdown has increased daytime usage fairly dramatically, it's still not even close to the evening peak usage that the ISP networks are built to handle...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @wholeshow

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wholeshow
Hooked

Hi,

Thank you. I appreciate the response.

I have been on the wrong IP profile/banded for 10 days now, the max my line will allow is 12.8Mbps.

I am struggling to work from home.