Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed not up to expected

CBR600
Grafter

Fibre Speed not up to expected

Hello all.
After a disastrous install day where the engineer didn't turn up until 8pm i was doubly disappointed.
I was told my expected download would be a minimum of 16 Mbps and upload 2Mbps.
As you can see from the screen shot its no where near that.
The engineer said he thought i was on the wrong "tier" which is why its so slow.
Can anyone provide further information before i call plus net support ?
Thanks
J
18 REPLIES 18
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Speed not up to expected

I see you've reported this to our faults team, they'll take a look at what's going on.
At the moment your line is only connecting at 13.1 to the cabinet, which is below the estimate for your line. It's worth keeping in mind though that it is an estimate, it's not a guaranteed speed.
The profile is correct, we're not restricting the speed so this needs looking in to further.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CBR600
Grafter

Thanks Chris
13:1 means 13 down and 1 up i assume ?
The engineer said at the distance i'm from the cab it should be more like 20 down and 2 up.
Fingers crossed they can resolve it.
Cheers
J
CBR600
Grafter

So its been over 24 hours since i logged my support call and nothing.
Come on plus net !
Waiting on hold for hours is bad enough but a simple update isn't much to ask.
CBR600
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I see you've reported this to our faults team, they'll take a look at what's going on.
At the moment your line is only connecting at 13.1 to the cabinet, which is below the estimate for your line. It's worth keeping in mind though that it is an estimate, it's not a guaranteed speed.
The profile is correct, we're not restricting the speed so this needs looking in to further.

Any chance you can get me update ?
I've checked and i'm supposed to be on 40/20 so cannot understand how i ended up on 13.1
Thanks
J
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: CBR600
I've checked and i'm supposed to be on 40/20 so cannot understand how i ended up on 13.1
From the thread post above yours:
Quote from: Chris
You've ended up on that speed because there's a fault on the line.
Chris
Legend

40/20 is simply the wholesale product name, your estimates are between 16 and 22Mbps, so although 13 does sound very low it's only just below the bottom end of the estimates given.
Our faults team should pick this up over the next 48 hours.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CBR600
Grafter

thanks both
CBR600
Grafter

Just had this through !
System User - Automated Script Pool
12:20pm, Thursday 13 Aug 2015
There's been a problem progressing your broadband order.
We'll get some more information on the problem and update this ticket with details as soon as we have them.
[internal note]
Order has been cancelled. Please check Install Diary and resubmit order once issue is resolved.
Does this mean i'm going to get cut off ?
Chris
Legend

I don't believe so, from what I can tell there's been a tidy up of something on your account which tried to generate an order and that error is as a result. I'm just double checking as obviously it's a little odd.
Chris
Legend

Absolutely nothing to worry about, it was simply because one part of your account was showing it wasn't on fibre when we updated it the system tried to place a new order, which failed as you are on fibre.
CBR600
Grafter

Still nothing from plusnet support  Sad
No update to my ticket no communication at all.
Really poor performance from them and they certainly aren't doing me proud !
Communication is key and so far plusnet scores a 0/5
Annoyingly i'm outside of the 14 day cancellation time as it took over a week from when i signed up to even getting the fibre installed.

Update:
Had an online chat with plusnet support.
He said that there isn't any fault and what i have will just have to make do.
Well 12 Mb down 1 Mb up seems very poor to me.
i'm sure my ip profile is wrong.
IP Profile for your line is - 12.58 Mbps
Phone exchange:
MEARE HEATH
Estimated line speed:
16Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-07-25 12:39:50
Current line speed:
40 Mb

Its the lack of communication and confusion thats the most annoying.
Great way to retain customers plusnet.

CBR600
Grafter

Hello
Is there anyone here who can run a test on my line to tell me what my profile etc is please?
I tried using the help chat but got fobbed off with "your connection is within acceptable limits".
As far as i know i'm on a 40/20 so should be seeing that in the bt whole sale speed test results even if my actual speed isn't 40 Mb.
My line estimate shows 16 - 23 Mbps so would expect my ip profile to be higher that 12.85.
Thanks
CBR600
Grafter

Sorry to keep bumping this but i'm not making any progress with plusnet support.
My speed estimate was for 1.5 - 2 up and 16 - 23 down from all the fibre suppliers including plusnet.
From the moment the fibre was installed i've got 12 down 1 up.
The engineer said i was on the wrong tier.
Chris on the forum said i'm on 13.1
Quote from: Chris on 11/08/2015, 10:57
I should be on 40/20
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Pending Provisioned Service \'WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 40Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability\' added as a part of Account Change process
You can see from my ip profiles that they have put me on 13.1 as Chris said.
Plusnet support staff refuse to help saying i'm on an acceptable connection.
This is rubbish. I'm on a restricted profile.
I suppose my only other option is to start complaints procedures so i can get released from my contract.
bugs4me
Grafter

Hi CBR600
Not sure if this is of any help but you don't state what set up you're using. When BTOR installed their modem and hooked it up with the PN 2704 router the DL speed was showing as 4Mbps - far below what I was expecting and appreciating my line attenuation is in the early 30's it should be higher.
Hooked up my Billion VDSL router and the speed shot up - well in my case - to 10Mbps. So the choke point was the dumbed down BT modem. Since then I've tried again with the BT/2704 combo and it was showing a max of 5Mbps - an improvement but still far below the Billion.
So back to the Billion in my case.