Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Over Time

Davidreckitt
Dabbler

Fibre Speed Over Time

Hi

I have supposed fibre speed promised up to 75 (as I guess everyone is told). I have been with Plusnet for a few years now. Same old white router.

I have never actually got 75. At times, rarely I have got to 55. Never in the evenings (peak) or weekends. But usually 30 - 50.

More recently my speed has consistently dropped below 30 down to anywhere between 10 - 30. These are speeds via both ethernet cable and wifi. Right now its 23 - Saturday.

Sometimes it drops off completely which is resolved by switching off the router and waiting 5 mins and then switching on again.

This, obviously is not good enough for fibre. 

Is this a resolvable problem? Is this simply too many people online at the same time in my area? Is there anything that can be done?

Time to find another provider maybe?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre Speed Over Time

Hi @Davidreckitt,

I've had a look at the connection and run some tests to see if there's anything obvious that might be causing your problem. I've popped some results down below. First is the estimate for your line:

Then your line test and line profile:

And then your connection logs:

One thing obvious jumps out to me from the line test, which shows your line has a bridge tap on it. Would it be possible to remove everything from the sockets apart from the router plugged directly into the master socket in the premises. Once plugged in like that I'd like to run another test to see if that bridge tap still shows. If it does we'd raise a fault (which will go to engineer) as it will likely be outside of your control. If it doesn't then it's probable something plugged into the connection is extending the line and causing that result (and probably part of the problem you're having).

Davidreckitt
Dabbler

Wow..I have no idea what all that means.

i can do that tomorrow before going to work? Do you mean unplug all electrical appliances in tne house except for the router? Keep the ethernet cables connected.

ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, just unplug everything from any internal phone sockets in your property except the router - keep that into the master socket / primary socket. No phones connected.

A bridge tap is just industry term for either an unterminated electrical tap, or an improperly handled unterminated connection to your circuit (turns it into a massive antenna for interference, not ideal).

The Openreach systems will determine you have a bridge tap either due to a very long line which has been extended to reach your property, the presence of an actual bridge tap (usually historical) or an electrical issue caused by this extraneous electrical connection. (hence the suggestion to unplug everything except the router to see if the issue is internal to your property's wiring).

If the fault's found with everything except router connected, you'll probably be able to have an Openreach engineer come out and either reterminate your line or swap you to another pair if they find a fault upstream.

More info: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-bridge-tap-15.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_tap

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/05/bt-wholesales-uk-broadband-checker-adds-status-bridge-...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

HI @Davidreckitt, thanks for getting back to us.

It looks like @ChrisWoods has filled in all of the blanks here with some great industry knowledge.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.