Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed New Connection

sep9001
Grafter

Fibre Speed New Connection

Hi

Sorry have done a bit of reading on here and on other internet pages, but not sure what is correct so hoping someone can help.

Recently upgraded from standard BB to Unlimited Fibre Extra which has gone live today. I have re-booted the router and when I complete a speed test on my PC with a wired connection the max download I get is between 19-20mbps, so higher than what I used to get, but no way near the max of 72 as per the BT website or the 45mbps shown on the email.

Some site say it takes about 10 days to work correctly, other say this does not apply to VDSL only ADSL.

So is there a problem with my connection, or my setup, and do I need to wait for a few days to see if I get anyway near 45mbps.

Thank you for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
deanmrd
Grafter

Re: Fibre Speed New Connection

Also getting internet drops as well as poor download speeds

I had no internet for about 30 min earlier Seems to be back now, but very slow.

area WR11

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

While the 10 day stabilisation period for VDSL is different to ADSL, there's still a period that the dynamic line management (DLM) software goes through to find the right balance between speed and stability for your fibre service.

Having said that, line tests are showing a potential physical fault on the line (a Battery Contact), so this is likely the cause of the slow speeds we're seeing and would need an engineering investigation. 

I've reported this through to our suppliers, and we've been given an estimated response time of by 07/12/18 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further. Let us know how it goes over the next few days.

@deanmrd, apart from the drop you had last night, our tests aren't showing any issue and your connection has been stable since then. Are you seeing issues via both a wired and wireless connection?

If you are it may be worth raising a fault ticket to us at http://faults.plus.net if you let us know once you've completed it we'll be happy to pick it up.

[edit]

Testing your line again is showing a fault for you too so I've reported this through to our suppliers too for further investigation over the next few days. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sep9001
Grafter

@Gandalf Thank you Sir for looking into the issue for me.

Will the engineer require access or is the issue outside the house?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem. The engineer shouldn't need access to your property though if they do, they'd generally try to give you a call first, but if you're not available they'll just pass the job back to us and we'll contact you to arrange an appointment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sep9001
Grafter

Morning @Gandalf,

Looks like BT engineer has done his bit, speed has gone up to about 26mbps. I tested using the test socket and get over 68mbps so issue now seems to be at my end with the socket.

Are there any additional tests I can do, or does it mean that the master socket is faulty and needs to be changed?

Thank you

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @sep9001

Thanks for the additional information.

As it stands, it does look like that socket is faulty I'm afraid. You can either replace this yourself (if you're comfortable with doing so) or ask any local electrical engineer to resolve this for you.

Best wishes

Dave