Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Halved

russelc
Dabbler

Fibre Speed Halved

Hi,

I am long term customer of Plusnet on the unlimited fibre package and have been lucky enough that since day 1 I have achieved 72+mbps. There have been two previous occasions when my speed has dropped and in both instances support have resolved the situation having determined, i think, that my line speed had been capped by BT.

On Monday 15th Jan I became aware aware that my line speed had dropped to a consistent 36mbps no matter the time of day. Not wishing to spend a long time waiting to get through the support telephone queue I opened a support ticket via the troubleshooter supplying all the appropriate details from the BT Openreach speed test site.

Today, 24th Jan, I finally got a response from support to tell me that my line has been tested and that it appears the issue I reported is no longer occurring. Further, I am getting good speed for my line of 38mbps.

Clearly the support engineer did not actually read my original issue!

If any Plusnet staff read this post I would really appreciate some help to get this resolved as I am sure that this speed reduction has been caused in the same manner as the last 2 occasions by BT.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Fibre Speed Halved

Hi there. I'd like to firstly apologise for the response you've received on your fault ticket.

Our tests aren't showing your speed to be capped:

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

As your current sync rate of 38.6mbps is way below your estimates of 71mbps, I'd recommend making sure your router is plugged into the test socket as explained here. If your speed is still too low, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
russelc
Dabbler

Gandalf,

Thank you very much for the response.

I do not know if any of the local BT engineers at my exchange have done anything but magically my download speed has returned to 75.9mbps. Hopefully it will stay at this level now. I will close the ticket on Monday assuming the speed remains constant.

Thank you again, it really does make a difference to the customer experience knowing that staff such as yourself are responding here when it can be so difficult to get through to support. It is one of the key things that keeps me as customer with Plusnet.

Best regards, Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems at all Chris, I'm glad that your speed is where we'd expect it to be now. Thumbs_Up

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet