cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed During Line Training

ClaretMark

Fibre Speed During Line Training

Hi all,
Long time reader of the forums, just after a bit of advice regarding what kind of speed I should be expecting during a fibre training period. I've moved from Plusnet's ADSL2+ offering to FTTC 80/20 which was installed on Friday afternoon.
Straight after install I did a speed test that returned approx. 75 down and 18 up so obviously I was a very happy camper. Since then however the downstream speeds have dropped dramatically to the point where I'm now consistently getting approx. 17 down and up. At the moment I have a standard Openreach modem that I haven't attempted to unlock, I'm wary of doing anything after reading how hard the DLM can be with disconnects etc. especially during the training period. I've checked my router's PPP log and there has been no session disconnects since the line was installed and connected.
I've attached a speed test from BTw and a commercial one so you can see the problem! Is this something that is worth bringing to Plusnet's attention via a fault now or waiting until the line has finished training after a week or so?
Cheers!
Mark
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre Speed During Line Training

At a guess - there was a late delta report to Plusnet which dropped the current line speed - see my sig for a link
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ClaretMark
Long time reader of the forums, just after a bit of advice regarding what kind of speed I should be expecting during a fibre training period.
There is no training period. Not on ADSL and not on FTTC either. Both services run as fast as they can right from day one. However a new installation is more likely to be running a bit too fast to start with so is more likely to experience a reduction.
However a drop from 75 to 17 is a bit extreme and suggests a fault to me. Luckily it should also be accepted as a fault by BT so you should have no difficulty getting an engineer out and hopefully it will be fixed. One thing I would want you to confirm though is that you are running the tests over a wired connection, not wifi.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It doesn't necessarily suggest a fault as the IP profile hasn't dropped
ClaretMark

Quote from: Andrue
However a drop from 75 to 17 is a bit extreme and suggests a fault to me. Luckily it should also be accepted as a fault by BT so you should have no difficulty getting an engineer out and hopefully it will be fixed. One thing I would want you to confirm though is that you are running the tests over a wired connection, not wifi.

Yes all tests being run over a GigE wired connection.
Cheers,
Mark
ClaretMark

Quote from: Oldjim
It doesn't necessarily suggest a fault as the IP profile hasn't dropped

Plusnet is reporting the current line speed as 77.4 Mb so in the same area as the IP Profile reported by the BTw tester.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

in which case you should report a fault here https://faults.plus.net but before doing that can you go into the router interface (not the modem) and click on disconnect then after about 30 secs click on connect  then check again.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It seems the profile did drop down then went back up although at the time of your post you hadn't picked up the new one.
Are you still seeing issues?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team