Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Dissappointing

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre Speed Dissappointing

In the early days of FTTC, Openreach engineers used to fit VDSL Mastersockets to make sure internal wiring issues were reduced if not eliminated.

It will only take a minute to try the test socket and so prove one way or another.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

And as I replied to your first post, your unchanged wiring arrangement is now a problem.

How about:

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/bt-infinity-fttc-self-install

It's not actually the filters themselves that are the problem, it's the presence of the VDSL2 signals in the wiring before the filters. The unfiltered extension wiring would still be a problem with nothing plugged into the extension socket.

Have you really booked an Openreach visit before trying the test socket? You can expect to pay the charge then (although I think the £65 doesn't even cover the whole cost so we all end up paying).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm sure the test socket will improve something but as I said in the first post; the wiring at my end is exactly as it was under ADSL.

Due to the way fibre works, internal wiring can affect fibre circuits more so than on ADSL.

Especially if star wiring is involved, which is an ancient form of wiring. Got first hand experience (From my parents line).

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet