cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Dissappointing

OldEngineer
Grafter

Fibre Speed Dissappointing

I've now had Fibre to the Cabinet upgrade for 32 hours and have only a minimal speed increase from ADSL. I set up the new router as soon as it arrived knowing it would work under ADSL. At about 08:55 yesterday the router stats showed it had rebooted to VDSL with almost no interruption to the service (despite PlusNet emailing that the service went live just after the previous midnight.

The ADSL speed was 15.17Mbps. The VDSL now 18.12Mbps (after a few minute run at 20.13Mbps).

Nothing else has been changed. All the equipment, filters, router and wiring are unchanged.

The upgrade notification and BT Availability Checker show speeds between 32Mbps & 44Mbps (Clean).

But I've just run the BT Wholesale Checker and it says the Max Achievable Speed is 17.54Mbps.

Have I been connected wrongly?

ps I'm assuming that rebooting the router won't help.

17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Fibre Speed Dissappointing

Sorry to hear the speeds are below expectations.

I can see you've raised a fault regarding this.

I'll update the ticket for you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OldEngineer
Grafter

Thanks.

I've just had a text saying I should reply with three time slots for an engineer visit. But as nothing has changed locally I'm not sure why this process has been selected. Everything in the house is exactly as it was (even the same filters are gathering dust in the same position). The only change is the fibre to the cabinet some distance from my undisturbed house.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Filters - implying you've got more than one - is much more of a problem for VDSL2 than it is for ADSL.

Try the test socket if you have one.

OldEngineer
Grafter

I don't have a test socket. Just the old single output (with an iPlate insertion several years ago) and one filter here plus a filter on the bedroom extension (which just has a backup traditional phone)

ejs
Aspiring Hero

But an iPlate fits onto the test socket, so I'm confused about how you could have an iPlate and no test socket.

OldEngineer
Grafter

OK. Maybe my terminology is wrong?

It was fitted with a plate to improve the bell wire problem. The Master Socket is probably over 20 years old.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Does your master socket look like the one pictured here?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

OldEngineer
Grafter

No.

It looks like the third item here (headed Master Socket with single socket)

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

ejs
Aspiring Hero

That looks fine, all you have to do is remove the screws, take off the front plate and iPlate, and then the test socket is under that.

OldEngineer
Grafter

Seems the profile has been set low. Yesterday 17.54 but today after an automatic reboot it's crept up to 20.47Mbps. BT are working on it.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The IP Profile value is set according to whatever speed your modem manages to connect at, not the other way around. The IP Profile value does not control or restrict the speed your modem may connect at.

OldEngineer
Grafter

UPDATE

It seems the automatic processes are doing their bit to fix this (while the engineer is still booked for Thursday 8th).

The line speed reset itself on Wednesday about 48 hours after installation. It went up from 18.12Mbps to 21.18Mbps. Then this morning (another 48 hours) it rebooted again to 23.59Mbps. Each time the profile has changed in the sequence of:-  17.54, 20.47, 21.45.

I understand that this is the BT kit doing this. So perhaps it is on a very slow upgrade path. Will it get to the proper speed in 48 Hour changes?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think it's unlikely that the speed will gradually increase to somewhere between the 30 and 40 Mb of your estimate.

Did you try the test socket? Have you considered replacing the iPlate with an Openreach MK3 filtered faceplate?

OldEngineer
Grafter

I'm sure the test socket will improve something but as I said in the first post; the wiring at my end is exactly as it was under ADSL. I've been unable to find any other information to support the idea that the filters are worse under VDSl than ADSL.

So I'm working on the assumption that the new fibre circuit is at fault and the copper to the house and in the house is unchanged.