Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - Slow speeds

GSX
Dabbler

Fibre - Slow speeds

Hello, 

In the last few weeks / months I noticed a slow down on my internet speeds, I went to check my speeds with speed test and found that my overall download and upload speed were a lot slower than before.

I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra package and my speeds at the moment are around 10 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload.

Before my speeds were around 35 Mbps download and 9 Mbps upload.

I've posted it here before and someone told me that the line got "banded" due to the connection dropped a lot before. 

I've tried troubleshooting steps and all is good with my phone and the router they are all working, is just the speeds that are down.

Can someone have a look please?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fibre - Slow speeds

Are you really paying for the Fibre Extra service? Looking at your previous post, where the ADSL Checker is reporting estimated download speed of 31.5-44Mbps, it was never going to be worth the extra cost over standard fibre unless you are precious about upload speed.

Have you done the standard checks to ensure that the fault is not on your side of the interface?

1. Take the front off your BT Master socket. Plug a wired phone in to the Test socket, which you will find in behind and do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 and selecting Option 2

2. Plug a filter in to the test socket. Connect this to your router using the supplied cable and connect a computer to the router via an Ethernet cable. If this reveals the same slow speed then report a fault as per previously or wait for a Plusnet staffer to come along here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Afternoon @GSX 

Your line is syncing at 44.9Mbps. this is at the higher end of the 32 - 46.6Mbps Estimated Speed |Range our supplier has provided for your line. 

There isn't any banding in play - your Profile Name is 0.128-80M Down / 0.128-20M UP.

Are you noticing poor speeds over Wifi or Wired connections? 

Thanks, 

MoR

GSX
Dabbler

Yeah I only got the Fibre Extra for the upload speed that I need as much as I can get. 

I've done all that and is all good, but the Download speed is still slow.

GSX
Dabbler

My download speed seems to be stuck around 10Mbps and it doesn't matter what I do its always around 10Mbps, but my upload speed have increased to around 8Mbps thats good as its been stuck at around 3/4Mbps in the last months.

I've connected my phone to the test socket and tested my phone line with the quiet line test, it all seems to be good.

Now I got my Plusnet Hub One router connected to the test socket on the BT Master socket and there is no difference in the download speed. I've checked the speed on my computer with the Ethernet cable and using Wifi connection and the speed test is the same, so that means that the problem is not with the Wifi.

On my router on the DSL Line Status it shows my connection as 49.22 Mbps Downstream and 8.745 Mbps Upstream.

Well I think I am getting now the 8Mbps of upload, but nowhere near as close to when it comes to the download speed.

My connection does drop every now and then, and I get an orange light on the router, I don't know if this help or not.

I've checked everything now, I can not think of anymore things to check to try and get my speed up.

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @GSX 

So - bit of a strange one here. 

The results I provided yesterday were accurate at the time - a fresh GEA test this morning has isolated and identified a potential fault;

Test OutcomeFail

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615

DescriptionPotential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service. Please continue to submit a trouble report

Main Fault LocationCE

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed44.1 Mbps

Upstream Speed6.9 Mbps

Appointment RequiredY

Fault Report AdvisedY

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapDetected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres785.6

Upstream Rate AssessmentLow

Downstream Rate AssessmentLow

Interference PatternNot Detected

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

I've raised a fault ticket on your account asking you to provide some times that an engineer can investigate this. 

Can you reply to the ticket and then shout up on here once you have done so? 

Thanks, 

MoR

GSX
Dabbler

Hi @MasterOfReality 

Thanks for that.

I've just replied to your ticket, hope that the engineer can sort this out.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @GSX, I have booked that in and updated the ticket with the details for you.

Please get back to us in the meantime is we can assist further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
GSX
Dabbler

Thanks @LaurenB 

GSX
Dabbler

Just randomly tried my phone an hour ago and there were a strange noise that would still be there when on a call, thinking it could be my phone I tried another wired phone and did exactly the same, even when connected to the test port. It stopped now and it's very strange. Got an engineer booked for Thursday morning so hope he can find the problem 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@GSX Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Let us know how you get on after the engineer visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
GSX
Dabbler

The engineer have been here today, he checked all my wiring and it was ok, he installed a new master socket, I think the NTE5C MK2 + VDSL MK4 OpenReach Master Socket which he said it would help increase the speed too.

He detected a fault in the line somewhere between my house and the cabinet, he wasn't able to find it as he run out of time so I think tomorrow someone will pickup the job and sort it out.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the update.

The engineer notes basically advise this too, we'll let you know when we've got more information. Let us know if you notice any developments your side.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GSX
Dabbler

Hi guys, two days have passed from the engineer visit and nothing changed, the speed is still low and he did found some faults in my line and fixed them but nothing changed.

So my problem is:

The download speed is a lot lower than sync speed.

My sync speed is:

Downstream: 48.12 Mbps
Upstream: 9.096 Mbps

But my download speed is around 10Mbps and does not increase, when I joined plusnet in all my test speeds my download speed was around 30 to 35Mbps and overtime have dropped to where it is now.

I've tried another router and the same low download speeds, it looks like my connection have been locked to around 10Mbps download speed as nothing that I do seems to change it.

If the sync speed of my line is 48Mbps I think that I should be getting a higher download speed close to that.

I've reseted my PPP and it didn't help too.

Not very happy with this as I'm paying for something that I am not getting.

Please see the attached screenshots of my speed tests, all the speed tests have been done on a Wired connection

Any help or ideas would be highly appreciated 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I too have been suffering with drops, but in your case the only thing I can think of is:

I've checked the speed on my computer with the Ethernet cable

As long as this was direct and not through power line adapters, plus other ethernet ports on the router have been tried, although you've:

tried another router and the same low download speeds

It's gotta be something 'out there' or something sticking within PN's systems.

I can't add any more but hope they find it! Wink

(edit to correct typing errors, my bad)