Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Preparation

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fibre Preparation

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to fibre which I'm going to get installed in just over a week's time and was thinking whether I need to do/think about anything in preparation.
My master socket's an old LJ 4/1A with only 1 line active on it (my PlusNet service) I wonder will the engineer change that to an NTE5 (don't you need that for fibre?) and will I be charged for that?
At the moment my master socket's on the wrong side of the room to where my phone and computer are. Currently I have my ADSL filter plugged into the master socket and run a 3m RJ11 from there to where my router is. Will the engineer move it and will I be charged for that? Or should I get a LAN cable that I could run from the Openreach modem that could sit next to my master socket to where my PlusNet fibre router will be?
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Preparation

The engineer should replace the master socket with a fibre socket as part of the installation, the modem will be plugged in next to this. If you can't have the router next to it, your best bet would probably be an ethernet cable from modem > router.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks Chris. I'll get the LAN cable sorted out.
Just one other thing. There are 2 phone lines coming into my house and so 2 master sockets. 1 on the ground floor and 1 on the 1st floor. My service is on the 1st floor. I'm hoping that won't cause any problems? The service on the ground floor is someone else's Sky line.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The engineer should only work on the Plusnet line, when he comes you may just want to clarify which is which to him.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.