cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Optic become slow?

Saif

Fibre Optic become slow?

Hello,
When I joined plus net I was happy with the services till now. All of a sudden this month my internet seems slower than usual even though speed tests shows normal speed (50 to 60mbs). When I tried downloading a game via steam today it took over an hour to complete when a previous game of the same size took roughly 12 minutes in the last few months. I have also seen noticeable lagg in the online games I play, when previously it was hardly noticeable. Also Netflix is even lagging when it never use to lagg.
I wanted to know what's going on, am I being throttled? What happen to the awesome internet that was provided me for the first few months? or was that just a taster to keep me hooked on and the speed I am throttled speed I am getting now is what I am left with?
*Update*
I noticed that every time the download speed hits 1.00 MB/s it just drops down as if it is not allowed to go beyond that speed. Usually it use to hit 6.00 MB/s when downloading. So...yeah.....looks pretty throttled to me at 11:00 pm on a Saturday.
4 REPLIES 4
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre Optic become slow?

PLusnet do not throttle, but, I am sure if the steam servers are busy that they do.
Try the speedtester http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html and post a link to the results;  this MAY be a sign of contention somewhere on the network
Ian
LukeS
Grafter

This happened to me recently, and it turns out I had a boxset downloading through Sky On Demand. Basically, because that was classed as streaming it was prioritised above Steam and I was getting really slow downloads. I'm not saying that is what happened to you but it's possible something was running in the background or another device. Alternatively, it could just be that the Steam servers were busy at that time. However, if it continues it's worth investigating.
Saif

Well it seemed to have resolved but now its back again.
Same thing my speed has been heavily throttled. Steam downloads are at 1mbs or less comapred to the usual 6+mbps. I checked around the house nothing is downloading anything or using the net. Did a speed test and this is what i got:

I am paying for 60+mbps and I am getting 9mbps? At 2am i am getting 9mpbs that just doesn't seem right.
I will check again tomorrow to see what speeds i get.
steveuk
Grafter

You are not being throttled no matter how much you like to think you are, Many things can cause issues and steam in itself has many of them especialy when it comes to downloading games.
Been many times when i have tried to download a steam game and its going slow so i ask friends who own the game and are on different isp's if they can download the game and they also get the slow download speed.
Welcome to steam and get used to it as it wont change any time soon but please note this is not a plusnet issue but how steam is and has always been.