cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Much Lower Speed than Contract Signed For?

FreddyNoel2007

Fibre Much Lower Speed than Contract Signed For?

Hi,
After 3 years with PlusNet and a low speed of 2.5 MB, we ultimately got Fibre in our North Norfolk Village and I signed a new contract with up to 40 MB...
Installation successful yesterday...
Speed Test shows less than 10 MB on my MacBook Pro and the worse is a catastrophic decrease of speed on our iPhones and iPads... 5MB near the router and less than 1MB (YES <1 MB) in the other rooms fitted with TP-LINK AV200 Wireless Extension.
Maybe TP-Link AV-200 is not compatible with Fibre?
I would appreciate if someone could let me know if one needs some specific models?
Meanwhile, PlusNet, please let me know what is going on and why I do not get at least 30 MB if not the 40 MB contracted for?
Thank you for your urgent assistance.
FL
8 REPLIES 8
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre Much Lower Speed than Contract Signed For?

Dont panic just yet Tongue They may just need to update your line profile Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your line speed is fine however there's a extremely high amount of errors and we're detecting what's known as a bridge tap.
Was the install done by a Openreach engineer or a sub contractor like Kelly Communications?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sjptd
Grafter

we're detecting what's known as a bridge tap.  Slightly off the OPs question, but is a bridge tap the same as star wiring?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I believe they're both similar but I'm not sure of the exact details
We tend to see these as a result of dodgy installs which is why I'm assuming it wasn't a Openreach engineer who did the install.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

BT Wholesale's explanation:
Usually a pair of wires terminated across an existing copper pair with no electrical termination or components across the pair, ie. Impedance.
Historically these can be left in place Jumpers at the MDF, PCP or DP or old ‘extension wiring’ in the customer premises, typically known as Star wiring.
These wires will present an impedance mismatch, which cause ADSL signals/tones to be reflected or echoed. This causes attenuation distortion of the original signal and leads to increased errors which can prevent synchronisation of the DSL Service. The Bridge Tap result will detect this.
sjptd
Grafter

Thanks for the explanations.  Does look like a bad install is possible reason for some of the customer issues; and that a contractor is a probable reason for the bad install.
Are the 10Mbps figures to the MacBook Pro wired or wireless?  You need wired tests properly to establish the state of the broadband.  Also, to help establish the broadband state run the speedtest.btwholesale.com speedtest, and go on to 'Further Diagnostics' and post the max figures that gives.
That doesn't explain the issues with the wireless extender.  An 200 rated powerline won't be able to make full use of a fast fibre connection, but they should do much better than 1Mbps.
FreddyNoel2007

Thank you for all the replies while I was away.
I believe that the technician who did the installation was from Kelly Communications but not sure. When I asked him if there was any document to sign, he said NO.
The speed test was done on the MacBook Pro wireless as this model does not have an Ethernet plug. I just did it with my wife's Mac Book and the following is showing Download Speed : 27.20 Mbps and Upload Speed 9.5 Mbps.
So I guess your fiddling with our line has already been positive.
Meanwhile,iPad and  iPhone through Wi-Fi in our study on the main line shows 9.71 Download and 9.95 Upload BUT in another room through the TP-LINK AV200 Wireless Extension it still goes crazy slow at 0.50 Mbps Download and 1.56 Mbps Upload. Weird...
Can you recommend a different model of TP-Link or other brand that would give me MUCH BETTER speed in the other rooms of the house. I have three TP-Link scattered in three different rooms and it was perfectly alright (exactly the same speed all over before, though only 2.5 MBps).
Thank you again for all contribution to make this better soon.
Frederic
Note : Doing the test again on my MacBook Pro through Wi-Fi from the main Wi-Fi Network in the study gives Download 16.06 Mbps and Upload 7.68 Mbps - Ping Latency 27.75

FreddyNoel2007

Well... In spite of raising a fault report online as advised by PlusNet, nothing is happening. The request for an engineer's visit has not been acknowledged yet?
Latest discontent came two days ago discovering that my HP Wi-Fi printer did not connect anymore while it worked perfectly well with ADSL broadband before. Online chats with 2 different PlusNet agents were frustrating even more.
Since I have received an OpenReach BT router, it seems that I cannot access the PlusNet system to add or rmove devices on my network, as I used to do easily with ADSL broadband before. I was told to link to BT home hub system but the link, http://bthomehub.home, does not work...
Wi-Fi to iPhone/iPad is still <10 Mbps from the central PN modem and <1 Mbps through TP-Link in other rooms.
Wi-Fi to iMac and MacBook Pro from main modem is still <26 Mbps.
I would appreciate having more support,  as professional, at least if not better, as the commercial agent's motivation to sell me the Fibre update package two weeks ago.
Reading other posts, I understand that I am not the only one with issues and unfortunately that does not help restauring my confidence.
Thanks