Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Line Speed reduced over time.

loveridge
Grafter

Fibre Line Speed reduced over time.

Directed at Plusnet:
I have been a Fibre unlimited customer a while, well over a year now, and a plusnet customer for nearly ten years.
When I first had fibre installed I had a consistent measured speed result of around 57mb down and 17Mb up.  I discovered a few months ago that it had dropped to 41mb down and 12 up.  I also see that my line profile is set to 41.2mb, which suggests that is why my download speed is down.
I did have some router and modem issues a while ago, so I gather that a repeated connect and disconnect from a fibre service will result in your line speed being reduced to improve stability.
Can my profile please be reset to the 80/20 so I get back to my original speeds? If not then as I am paying the cost of the 80/20 I might as well save some beer money and reduce my account to the 40/10 one.
Many thanks
Steve
9 REPLIES 9
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Fibre Line Speed reduced over time.

There isn't (officially) a 40/10 one by Plusnet. It's 40/2.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Unfortunately we can't remotely reset FTTC lines and in this case it wouldn't make a difference as your profile is "0.128M-49M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-19M Upstream, Error Protection Off" and your currently syncing at 47.6mbps.
The speeds will have most likely dropped due to crosstalk as more users swap to FTTC and our suppliers wouldn't investigate this as it's not a big drop.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
loveridge
Grafter

Fair point, Estragon, its 40/20  Smiley
Mathew - I wouldn't consider a measured actual download (with bt wholesale speed checker) reduction from 57mbps to 43mbps over several months as not a big drop - its almost 20%. 
I have now searched the forum for Crosstalk and have a better idea what the problem could be. I have seen talk of 'Vector' curing crosstalk, any idea if and when its going to be rolled out?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Openreach are currently still rolling out G.INP there is still ECI cabs to do, after that we will have to see what openreach choose to do next for sure nothing else will be rolled out this year.   
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: loveridge
Fair point, Estragon, its 40/20  Smiley

Unfortunately it is 40/2. But that may only be for new provisions, so if you are changing down from 80/20, it would hopefully be to 40/20 rather than the new 40/2 (but someone from CRT can confirm).
GrottoTree
Grafter

I to have had my download/upload speed drop from 55mbps/15mbps to 50mbps/6mbps since 2013 which I suspect is due to an increased uptake in FTTC services  Cry . Plusnet have investigated my line, but could find no fault and my speeds are within my estimates.
Don't really know what else I could do to get my upload speed back to > 10Mbps
Maybe a 3rd party VDSL modem might help with tweaking the SNR & MTU?
Estragon
Rising Star

As jarred says, and I did earlier, it is 40/2. Plusnet now offer the Openreach 80/20 and 40/2 products.
They don't offer the 40/10, and there is no way they would downgrade anyone from 80/20 to 40/20. For the simple reason that there isn't an Openreach 40/20. Plusnet supplied 40/20 by connecting the customer on 80/20 and capping the top speed to 40Mbps.
To downgrade someone to it now would just in effect be a discount on the product they are on, but Plusnet paying out the same as now.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sorry to hear about the reduced speeds. I think it's crosstalk causing this. No news on vectoring yet, though I'd hope it gets rolled out soon.
Just to confirm, it'd be 40/2.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
loveridge
Grafter

40/2, quite a low upload.. so I'll stick with what I have
Cheers all. Thread can be closed.