cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Installation - okay to swap out to BT HomeHub 5 on day one?

donka
Grafter

Fibre Installation - okay to swap out to BT HomeHub 5 on day one?

Got my Fibre installation booked and I'm currently using a BT HH5 on my ADSL connection which I intend to use on fibre instead of the BT Modem / PN Router combination.
Is it okay to swap this out on day one and use the HH5 or is there any reason to leave the BT Modem in place for a week or two?
6 REPLIES 6
kankali
Grafter

Re: Fibre Installation - okay to swap out to BT HomeHub 5 on day one?

Just use the HH5 from the start - I did and the BT engineer never objected. That way you never get a disconnection, although I doubt that would be an issue anyway.
Regards, David
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just make sure that you hide the HH5 when the engineer installs the service or he probably won't leave a modem.  In fact there's an increasing chance that he won't leave one anyway as BTO seem to assume that all ISPs now supply integrated devices...
donka
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Shouldn't affect DLM as it keeps you on an open profile for the first 2 days anyway, and as above he probably won't leave you a modem if he see's you have a HH
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The engineer has to leave you a modem, the service agreement requires it as they will not support anything but the modem when and if you get a fault and need a visit.  The modem is the last point on your connection if you get a fault that BT have to come out for until 2017.  So yes use it from day one but, if same as mine the engineer did not know he had to leave one as it was not on the job notes, so make sure you get one.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
kankali
Grafter

I had a HH5 when the engineer visited and he still left me an OR modem - useful for a back up