Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install - appointment check

Mathias
Grafter

Fibre Install - appointment check

Hi PN,
I am due to have fibre installed on Wed 19/11 in the morning. Not heard anything since the initial email 2 weeks ago confirming that i had chosen that date.
Can i therefore please check that this is all appropriately booked on both PN and BTO's side so that someone will definitely be coming on Wed, since taking time off work is very difficult?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre Install - appointment check

Even if Plusnet confirm the booking it's still down to the Engineer to actually turn up, sadly it's not uncommon for them to not bother hopefully this wont happen to you but be prepared for it. 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The order is still in progress with the engineer appointment still showing as booked for the AM of 19th Nov  (8am-1pm).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mathias
Grafter

Thanks Chris
Chris
Legend

No problem. Let us know how the appointment goes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mathias
Grafter

Fibre day is here, just waiting for the engineer to arrive.
In the plus net router installation guide it informs that the installer should phone on the morning before he arrives to let you know he's coming. Haven't received a phone call. Is this normal?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Yep perfectly normal as i said above even if things are booked and the engineer is supposed to call there is every chance the engineer will do neither,  when i had fibre installed back in March the engineer never called but thankfully arrived and did the job. 
Mathias
Grafter

Just wanted to reply that the engineer is now here and seems to be doing a good job so far.
He has discussed options over using the many extensions in the property for the modem as the master socket is not in an ideal place to distribute WiFi over the whole property.
Having done some initial line checks which report a very good line, he's now sorting the connection at the cabinet.
Will report back when the job is complete, but so far so good.
Mathias
Grafter

Ok Job is now complete. Got to say i was pretty impressed by the chap. Whilst he did admit he didn't know what all the numbers were on his testing device (SNR and FEC errors - was surprised given i have a rough idea and i'm only an enthusiast), but he did demonstrate that the line speeds were very close to 80 20 and no errors after his few mins testing. SNR seemed a bit high at about 20, line attenuation i think was around 15. This was all at my new data point given i didn't want the modem at the master. He showed that the master still worked for data if needed though.
Phone line test showed it worked too.
Here are initial testing via ethernet at the data socket minutes after him leaving. Looks like my Plusnet profile needs changing:
BTW test
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 13.68 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 15.65 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
- Not sure why the error, maybe too soon after install?
Plusnet portal info:
Phone exchange:
ACOMB
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-11-03 18:17:36
Current line speed:
14.3 Mb
Speedtest:
Chris
Legend

From your comments everything seems to have gone well with the install. I've just upped the profile on our side so once your line disconnects/reconnects (you can do this in the router) you should see the higher speeds.
Mathias
Grafter

Ok great thanks Chris. Will do that once i get home this evening as i've now gone back to work.
Cheers.
Chris
Legend

Did you manage to test this?
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Sorry for the delay in response, work has been pretty busy today.
In short, yeah i believe it has worked.
Only managed wifi speed tests last night as i was a bit busy with other arrangements, but speeds were 36mbps down and 19mbps up, which is close to what i expected.
Going to setup my new d-link router and perform some more tests (wired this time) tonight. Will let you know the results soon.
Cheers for checking back.
Matt