cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install 10 days old - still half the speed I expected

banjo21
Dabbler

Fibre Install 10 days old - still half the speed I expected

Who would moan at 'only' 20 Mb Smiley - only the internet of course.
However I had 20Mb on ADSL thus moving to Fibre was for the jump.
Since being switched on my DL has flitted around 20 and UL around 11.
The BT check suggests the full monty avail.
I am wondering if the fact the engineer didn't install a new extension from point of entry to house to point where modem could be installed is the issue. They simply put a new socket  at the end of an existing OLD extension lead from a downstairs loo (where the OLD master socket is and still is) to the meter cupboard a few metres away.
13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Fibre Install 10 days old - still half the speed I expected

Or maybe you are still on your old Plusnet ADSL profile.
Something for Plusnet CRT to look at.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
banjo21
Dabbler

Thanks I will call the team if thats the right approach. It has for a day jumped to 40 but went back to 20 since.
I did order the 'extension' install but the engineer chose not to go that route and just tagged on the end of an existing extension. Would you know if that could be part of the problem?
Thanks for any feedback.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi banjo21,
I couldn't see any obvious problems when I just had a quick look at your line.  Thanks for raising the fault through this morning, our faults team will be back in touch in the next few days once they've investigated in depth. 
One thing I would advise doing is completing an updated speed test via http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ in the meantime, as the test result we currently have stored from 6th June shows a throughput speed above 40Mbps.  We'll need evidence of your current lower speeds if we need to raise with Wholesale.
Cheers
banjo21
Dabbler

Thanks for your time. Here's the file from that test. Let me know if more will help.
I have never seen more than 12 up since installed. I did for 24 hours get 40 down but every other times I#ve checked its been closer to 20.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Just to confirm were these run over a wired connection?
With regards to the sync speed I suspect the extension could be causing the sync speeds to be below the estimate.
Our faults team will be in touch once they know more.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
banjo21
Dabbler

Yes - defintely run over a wired connection.
I suspect the old extension from the old GPO master socket also.
I was surprised having ordered the new extension the engineer didn't replace the old master socket and fit a new extension - but I am no engineer Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Was it a Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor like Kelly Communications?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
banjo21
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew.
It was Openreach. Last Friday 5 June.
My wife was in the property, not myself.
banjo21
Dabbler

Matthew. I have rebooted all this morning and the DL speed is back to where I would expect (38-40M).
The upload remains at 11 which in keeping with the BT speed 'estimate' checker is in keeping with suggestion of wiring limitation (not sure if thats within the house or to the cabinet of course).
I would still like a view on as to why the new master socket was not fitted at entry point to house and why a new extension was not fitted if possible please.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As part of a fibre install the engineer won't generally install a new extension socket, there is a data extension kit which is intended to run from the master socket but we need to order that when the initial order is placed (there's a tick box during the signup journey). Did the engineer not install the kit if you ordered it?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
banjo21
Dabbler

I ticked the extension needed because the point of entry of the main line is in a downstairs loo with no power socket.  The main box in there is an old one (GPO rounded rectangle). That is immediately connected to an old square BT box in the bathroom (6" away) from which I ran 10 metres of extension to another room when I moved in to the house a few years back (the house is old). I have always had my ADSL router hanging off that extension.
The engineer did not install a new master socket replacing the old GPO one, he simply fitted a new box at the end of my existing old extension and plugged the fibre modem in to that.
banjo21
Dabbler

As way of an update PN testing has identified a probable fault in or close to the property which is causing the half estimated speeds uploads.
Question - I remain convinced its the old master socket thats the issue particularly as it has an old ADT (alarm) line hard wired in. The Alarm is still used but NOT with ADT, i.e. I've had an engineer 'reinstall it fresh' as a standalone alarm. Perhaps though the fact the old ADT line hangs from the old master socket BEFORE the line through my old extension lead even reaches the new OR fibre filter socket could be the issue????
I'm a layman guessing - Huh
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can see you're due a engineer this morning.
Let us know how they get on.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team