cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Fixed but wrong IP? (looks like bt_test_user settings?)

NaRyan
Grafter

Fibre Fixed but wrong IP? (looks like bt_test_user settings?)

I had my Fibre and Telephone line fixed earlier today (both were completely dead)

However now that the phone is working and the fibre is back on my Vdsl router is showing the wrong IP\DNS\Gateway info.

I have the static IP with plusnet so I am used to seeing it, and not a Private Network IP that I keep getting.

Also going by what I can tell by searching the DNS servers they seem to belong to BTWholesale (like what you get when using the bt_test_user thing)

This is the info my Vdsl router keeps showing me.

IP: [Removed]

DNS1: 62.6.38.125

DNS2: 194.74.65.98

Gateway: 172.16.18.10

I am guessing when the BT engineer ran the test on the Fibre part of the line he forgot to stop or disable something (or the test somehow bugged out?)

I have tried switching my modem\router off for 30 minutes but it still connected back with the wrong settings (as above)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): IP address removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

18 REPLIES 18
NaRyan
Grafter

Re: Fibre Fixed but wrong IP? (looks like bt_test_user settings?)

Phoned Plusnet support to report the problem.

Person on phone ran some tests and it came back with "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises" (same fault that was detected on 21st August)

Guess that's BT going to be out fixing more stuff on my line (This will be the 4th time, since raising the fault on 31st July.

NaRyan
Grafter

Just had BT out for the 4th visit and my Internet is still not working.

This is now 7 weeks of on going faults (and no Internet due to the above fault since 6th September)

BT replaced the Master socket with a new one, ran a load of tests using their stuff and got Internet with their setup.

However I cannot get Internet on mine (it just gets the BTWholesale stuff).

BT are blaming Plusnet for the fault saying my modem has not had proper sync since 3rd of September (the same day my phone line and internet went dead, that was fixed on the 6th september, but only the phone line has worked since that fix)

If any staff member is reading this and knows of someone they can poke with a pointy stick to make things work the relevant info is Question #154780970

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hello there.

From reading the engineer notes, your modem is suspected to be faulty.

Would it be possible to try a different modem? If not then I think we'd better book another engineer to further investigate.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

EDIT:

@NaRyan From reading the latest response on your ticket I see you've already tried a different modem. I'll update your fault ticket as we'll need book another engineer visit to investigate the no sync issue.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NaRyan
Grafter

The engineer visit yesterday was related to the no sync issue.

And they could find no faults with my line (in my premises)

The modem (in fact all 4 tested) do get Vdsl sync however they all get the BTWholesale info IP\DNS\Gateway rather than getting the plusnet IP\DNS\Gateway.

And I have tested my modem on my friends Internet and it syncs just fine to his fibre connection (we are both connected to same cabinet, just different ISP's)

The only thing the BT engineer keeps going on about (this is her 3rd visit to my flat now) is that I should be using the Plusnet supplied modem and not the modem I am using which is a tp-link ac1900 v2 , (but I do not have a Plusnet modem.) So I guess that is why the modem is "suspected" of being faulty. Even though it is only a few weeks old, and worked fine until my phone line went dead on 3rd September, And I have not been able to get a Plusnet sync since my phone line was fixed on the 6th September, Just the BTWholesale stuff. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As it's a sync issue we'll need to arrange another engineer visit unfortunately.

I've rebooked it for you, updating your fault ticket and sending you a text message to confirm.

Can you let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NaRyan
Grafter

Sure I will let you know how it goes.

Lets hope I get a different engineer this time. Kind of getting fed up hearing the same old "it's your modem, you should be using a plusnet modem, there is nothing wrong with our stuff, it's a plusnet problem, they must have broke your profile" thing all the time.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Anoush,

I am confused as to why you state that NaRyan has a sync issue:

@Gandalf wrote:

As it's a sync issue we'll need to arrange another engineer visit unfortunately.

When one of his previous posts stated:

@NaRyan wrote:

The engineer visit yesterday was related to the no sync issue.

And they could find no faults with my line (in my premises)

The modem (in fact all 4 tested) do get Vdsl sync however they all get the BTWholesale info IP\DNS\Gateway rather than getting the plusnet IP\DNS\Gateway.

Could NaRyan have the wrong PN login credentials in his TP link router or a BT routing issue?

Regards

Richard

NaRyan
Grafter

I doubt it's wrong plusnet login details as I got the new modem\router on 26th August and it was working fine until my phone line went dead on 3rd September. It was when the line was fixed on the 6th that the sync issues started.

And since nothing was changed settings wise in the router during those 3 days, It has to be a problem with the BT side of things.

As I have tried multiple modems, and tested my modem with someone using the same cabinet as me and it works fine.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf Where is the OP saying it is a sync issue? 

NaRyan stated "The modem (in fact all 4 tested) do get Vdsl sync however they all get the BTWholesale info IP\DNS\Gateway rather than getting the plusnet IP\DNS\Gateway "   

Surely it is an authentication problem, can PlusNet see any attempts to connect? What does a GEA test show? I suspect some error has been made with the circuit build in BT's systems when the earlier fault was investigated. Will sending another engineer serve any useful purpose as they don't seem to know what the problem is?Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Surely it is an authentication problem, can PlusNet see any attempts to connect? What does a GEA test show? I suspect some error has been made with the circuit build in BT's systems when the earlier fault was investigated. Will sending another engineer serve any useful purpose as they don't seem to know what the problem is?Huh

A GEA test shows the circuit out of sync which needs to be investigated by an engineer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Well I hope the OP gets one who has a clue next time. It would seem that your test is not getting through to the correct line. Circuit build/ID problem?

@NaRyan Make sure you tell the next engineer that Plusnel can't see any sync when tested from their end, there's some disconnect in the system somewhere.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

After contacting our suppliers they also believe another engineer visit is required to further investigate this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NaRyan
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid lets just hope I get a different BT person this time.

I have added 2 screen shots (for anyone curious) that show that my router gets a sync to something out there in the land of mystical BT stuffs, and one that shows that I get the BTWholesale IP\DNS\Gateway info supplied back.

I edited the IP address from that screen shot as a moderator edited my 1st post in this thread thinking I had posted sensitive information, and not realising that a 172.xx.xxx.xxx IP address is a Private Network address (aka a LAN IP) so no personal info there, so I just removed it just incase it got removed again. I also removed the MAC address since it does identify my router somewhat.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

I've seen similar to symptoms to this before. I think it was a RADIUS authentication issue on the BTW network. 

See: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/All-pages-redirecting-to-62-6-38-125-index-...