cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Finally Here - limited to 1.5mbps upload?!

warpkid
Grafter

Fibre Finally Here - limited to 1.5mbps upload?!

Hey All
So fibre finally became available in my area so I quickly put a product change through on the plus net website.
I was disappointed to see that they had quoted my max download at 35mbps and more shockingly my max upload at 1.5mbps.
Far be it from me to seem disappointed but you wait for fibre only to find that because you don't live next to the cabinet your upload is going to see no real improvement at all!

So after doing some digging it appears that Plusnet lied to me over the phone when they said BT Wholesale no longer offered anything more than 40/2.This is pretty shocking. 4 months ago I was on a 40 package I believe and enjoyed 20mbps up. If I put my details into the BT website I am offered more than 1.5mbps upload.

I remember the days when Plusnet was considered a performance provider but this is awful.
15 REPLIES 15
khile
Grafter

Re: Fibre Finally Here - limited to 1.5mbps upload?!

I would wait till your order has gone active I was told i would only get about 50mb but once order was completed i was on 80/20
sometimes the estimate are well of what you actually get
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet only offer the 40/2 service on Fibre Unlimited because that's what TalkTalk offer.
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra  (up to 80/20) is only offered to users whose download speed is expected to be more than 40.
Their suppliers (BT Wholesale) offer a 40/10 service which would be ideal for you. Plusnet refuse to sell it.
I suggest you cancel the upgrade look at alternative suppliers. You'll probably find BT's offering quite reasonable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
warpkid
Grafter

I would love to cancel but I moved house a few months ago into an area that did not have fiber. I was then smooth talked into a 24 month contract which I am stuck in. As such my fiber upgrade is a NEW 24 month contract.
Disappointing really as my line can handle at least 5 times the upload speed PN will offer me (according to DSL check) and then they have the cheek to tell me on the phone that it's not their fault and that BT Wholesale won't let them do the 40/10 package.
Just sounds like them trying to squeeze their margins at the cost of customer satisfaction. Its not a question of cost for me either. I would pay more for a better service but PN won't let me.
When I joined PN they prided themselves on a quality service. These days it feels like they are BT's bargain basement division. And whats with these 24 month contracts?! Utterly disgusting. Why am I locked in for so long? I can understand a mobile phone contract as I need to pay off the mobile phone. As a consumer all the contract does for me is prevent me from moving to a better service for two years.
dick:quote

warpkid
Grafter

My stats from BT's DSL Checker. On the phone this morning PN said BT would only offer me 1.5 up and 35 down
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: warpkid
Its not a question of cost for me either. I would pay more for a better service but PN won't let me.
When I joined PN they prided themselves on a quality service. These days it feels like they are BT's bargain basement division. And whats with these 24 month contracts?! Utterly disgusting. Why am I locked in for so long? I can understand a mobile phone contract as I need to pay off the mobile phone. As a consumer all the contract does for me is prevent me from moving to a better service for two years.

If thats the case then cancel the Fibre Order, revert to ADSL and then pay the early termination fee's for Broadband Unlimited & Monthly Line Rental of £10.75 for each month remaining of previous contract and then seek a worthy provider!
or you could see if Plusnet will push the higher product on a special order for you (80/20)
personally I would just go back to ADSL for a moment and work from there!
PLusnet do contracts as this is the way they subsidise the charges they have to pay to provide you with a service... Plusnet has to pay to activate a service, install it and also cancel it, change it ... the list goes on...
With a provider that don'y hold you to contract you will be charged around £50 for activation (this is the charge they get from BT) also costs a provider £30 to cancel a connection if its not migrated correctly!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet have been 'economical with the truth' here.  Let's be generous and say that the agent you spoke to 'misunderstood' the results offered by their sales system rather than blatantly lied though!
As mentioned above, BT Wholesale do offer 40/10 but PN do not offer this as a product so it is likely that the agent assumed (due to poor training?) that this was because of a BT restriction.  It sounds like you have a good case of getting out of your 24 month contract as you placed the order in good faith based on information that PN supplied.  In effect you've been mis-sold the product you have.
warpkid
Grafter

If I plug my details into the BT Broadband Website I get this.....

I'm totally confused
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Please edit that image - It has your phone number on!  Putting the number shown into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com confirms that 80/20 is achievable so is it the same number you used when you checked before?
That said, the restriction of 40/2 is purely of PN's making and you have been incorrectly advised...
warpkid
Grafter

Whoops!
Oh well. I don't actually use the landline for anything.
I will ring up plusnet and try and cancel everything
warpkid
Grafter

Actually, I typod  the phone number in the check by one digit. When I put in my actual phone number I get:
We're sorry, one or more of our broadband products are not available to you. Please call us on 0800 100 400
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you don't use the phone move it to Pulse8 - they only charge £13.00 per month (including VAT) for line rental. Then go to 40/10 fibre on BT.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do BT offer Broadband/FTTC without line rental?
If they do they make it very difficult to find (not surprising given what they charge for the line rental).
I thought Plusnet were one of very few (possibly the only larger provider) who allow you to have your line rental elsewhere these days.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Alternatively, if you're interested in being on 80/20, let me know and I'll get it investigated for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
warpkid
Grafter

I'm interested Matt!
I just want the best speed my line will support! Please let me know if you can make it happen!