cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Fault - Wrongly Provisioned Again and Again and Again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Fibre Fault - Wrongly Provisioned Again and Again and Again.

Thanks for your PM.

I'm sorry if you were advised we're able to adjust the settings for your fibre connection.

Apart from being able to remove banding by requesting a reset which is currently a trial process, we can't choose a specific banding and have no control over things like interleaving. 

These settings are set by the dynamic line management (DLM) software at the exchange. 

Right now your line is banded at "Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off" and your connection is still dropping:

If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket and the problem still persists, and ideally you've tried a different router as @ejs has advised, we'd need to raise a fault again with our suppliers and task out an engineer to investigate further.

If necessary we can raise an escalation but there'd typically need to be a previously raised fault report with our suppliers in the past 28 days for them to accept one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

I'm sorry if you were advised we're able to adjust the settings for your fibre connection.

No problem, not your fault. Different person, different story.

there'd typically need to be a previously raised fault report with our suppliers in the past 28 days

The fault has been present since fibre was made available in my area.

The last three weeks is the longest uptime and it's been stable  (I was on holiday for one of those weeks!) so the issue is within 28 days.

I was released from contract because Openreach said they couldn't provide a stable connection due to line instability.

I signed up to a new contract on the basis that the line be profiled at 34999 and be left alone but that's not happening.

When the profile is 34999 and upstream is fastpath the connection is stable.

In an ideal world someone would actually 'take possession' of the issue until it's sorted, like in the job description, but there's a fat chance of that actually happing.

I would be prepared to use Plusnet's modem (I have one here) to see if the line can indeed support 40 meg.

Even better, I'd be prepared to use Plusnet's modem to see if the line could support 60+ meg and I'd be happy to pay for it.

Buying a new router or buying a modem off eBay is also an option as is signing up to a new contract for the fastest speed Plusnet can provide but, like I say, every time I get the same fault I get a different diagnosis from yet another person.

You can see from the closed questions I've been (mostly) very, very patient with this ongoing issue but it remains an issue and it is ongoing and I'm paying for the pleasure.

My router hasn't moved, the wiring inside my house hasn't moved, everything has been tested inside my property several times and no fault has been found. Then sudden disconnect, connection is re-profiled, iPlayer unusable, Netflix unusable, and even startled cats GIFs cause the line to crash. Rinse, repeat.

C'mon, Plusnet, do me proud!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The fault has been present since fibre was made available in my area.

By previously raised fault report I meant fault report for your specific line. The last fault report was closed on 27th May.

This isn't a condition we set, it's simply a criteria for our suppliers to accept an escalation.

In an ideal world someone would actually 'take possession' of the issue until it's sorted, like in the job description, but there's a fat chance of that actually happing.

I'm happy to take ownership of this and do what we can from our side but I can't guarantee that the next engineer who goes out will take ownership.

I would be prepared to use Plusnet's modem (I have one here) to see if the line can indeed support 40 meg.

Let us know how you get on.

Even better, I'd be prepared to use Plusnet's modem to see if the line could support 60+ meg and I'd be happy to pay for it.

If your line is stable at 40mbps then we can look into upgrading you to 80/20.

Buying a new router or buying a modem off eBay is also an option as is signing up to a new contract for the fastest speed Plusnet can provide but, like I say, every time I get the same fault I get a different diagnosis from yet another person.

There's probably not much point spending more money on an alternative third party router at this point if you've still got the router we've supplied you with, nor is there much point in upgrading your package until the problem is sorted.

My router hasn't moved, the wiring inside my house hasn't moved, everything has been tested inside my property several times and no fault has been found. 

While I appreciate that, a fault can occur at any point in time so just because there's never been a fault with your internal wiring doesn't necessarily mean there never will be, and it's possible an engineer has overlooked a problem with the wiring or not found an issue with it. Plugging your router into the test socket will definitively tell you if there's a problem there.

I've subscribed to this thread so I'll receive notifications whenever a new reply is posted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

it's possible an engineer

6 engineers and a senior manager.

The last fault report was closed on 27th May.

Isn't that when I reported a fault with the ADSL and subsequently signed up for fibre?

I have had many conversations with support about this ongoing fault over the last ~3 months.

not much point spending more money on an alternative third party router

So I should just accept a complete lack of required network/router features/options?

Nice idea but I'd rather buy a new router/modem from the approved list another poster provided.

Or go for the dedicated IP option that another poster provided.

In fact, I've been better informed here of possible options by those two posters than about a dozen Plusnet employees and 7 Openreach employees.

I'll buy an approved modem off eBay, see if that is the issue.

In the meantime, can you tell whoever has the means to set upstream to fastpath like wot it was when it worked, please?

Like I've said to customer support peeps on the phone, I'm not annoyed at you personally so love and bubbles and all that Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

6 engineers and a senior manager.

Unfortunately the fact is that your line is still not doing well if it's dropping.

Isn't that when I reported a fault with the ADSL and subsequently signed up for fibre?

No, this was for the fibre fault. While I can see the conversations you've had with our support team since then, we haven't reported the problem to our suppliers since the last fault report closed on the 27th May.

So I should just accept a complete lack of required network/router features/options?

Nice idea but I'd rather buy a new router/modem from the approved list another poster provided.

While it's entirely your decision in my opinion I'd get the speed/dropping problem sorted first. Smiley

Or go for the dedicated IP option that another poster provided.

This will not fix the problem. It will simply mean that your connection routes across our network in such a way that your throughput will be impacted if the profile on your account is set lower than the IP profile/sync rate of the line.

The problem you're experiencing is related to the sync rate, not throughput, well poor throughput may be a side effect of the fault. If for example your sync rate is 40mbps, and the speed profile on your account is set to 35mbps then your throughput will be capped at 35mbps if you have a static IP address, but it won't affect the sync rate so you'll still experience the same problems. In addition, automation will simply bump the speed profile back up to where it should be.

I'll buy an approved modem off eBay, see if that is the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

In the meantime, can you tell whoever has the means to set upstream to fastpath like wot it was when it worked, please?

I'm afraid this isn't possible for us to do as we're unable to adjust these settings for a fibre connection.

Again apologies if you've been advised otherwise.

If the test socket and a different router doesn't solve the problem let me know and I'll be happy to take ownership escalating the fault with our suppliers.

Thanks.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

I'm afraid this isn't possible for us to do

That statement conflicts with reality mate.

It's been changed several times, once while an Openreach tech was stood in my office on the phone to the person at BT who reset it on the fly while they were turning the line speed down from 60 to 50 to 40 to to 34 meg until it didn't produce CRC errors, while we were watching the errors drop - live - on my modem's DSL config page.

It was on fastpath, now it's on interleaved.

It is possible to change it from interleaved to fastpath.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

An engineer may be able to change it by calling their support team DCoE (Diagnostics Centre of Excellence) but as an ISP we simply can’t.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

I'm afraid this isn't possible for us to do

An engineer may be able to change it

7 hours 14 minutes 33 seconds ago the line was re-profiled to 32399 kbps

9:26am, I tried to download something, anything, connection crashed. Again. Fault persists.

Please advise me as to how I can get what I'm paying for.

Thank you for your continuing ownership of this fault.

edit: fire up Netflix to watch episode 2 of better call Saul, line crashes. Again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

7 hours 14 minutes 33 seconds ago the line was re-profiled to 32399 kbps 

Glad to hear that! This would've likely been changed by DLM, the automated software at the exchange.

9:26am, I tried to download something, anything, connection crashed. Again. Fault persists.

Please advise me as to how I can get what I'm paying for.

Can you confirm your router is plugged into the test socket and you've tried a different router?

If so please let me know and I'll re-open the fault ticket on your account.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

Yes and yes, fault persists. The only thing that's different from Saturday when the connection was working perfectly (for 3 weeks) is that upstream is set to interleaved. It was set to fastpath.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for confirming.

I've re-opened ticket 172886612 on your account moved it into my own workflow raising a fault to our suppliers. 

I'll update you when we know more.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

I don't suppose I'll get an answer as to why upstream was changed from fastpath to interleaved?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Bearing in mind that we're unable to change those settings on your line, I'd put it down to DLM.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

It is possible to change the settings manually, it's been done several times before.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to say but I think we're going round in circles here.

We have absolutely no control over the profile data of a fibre line except for the ability to request a remote DLM reset if a line is banded with no obvious reasons as to why.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet