Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Fault Guides

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Fibre Fault Guides

I've reviewed the supporting documentation surrounding fibre faults. I've taken some time to write some in depth and easy to read documentation on how fibre faults might arise, and what it is we do as your Internet Service Provider to investigate and resolve such issues.
If you believe there is anything missing from these guides, or have a question generally, please comment on the specific guide and I’ll do my best to answer any questions you may have. I'll be adding some new guides here in due course to help expand knowledge of FTTC and how our Faults Team work through such faults. Please see below for links to the relevant guides.

I have a fault

Our Testing

FTTC Faults Guide

Authentication (Auth)

How FTTC DLM works - SOME OF THE TIMESCALES IN HERE NEED UPDATING

Banding Guide

Reconnecting after a Major Service Outage

17 REPLIES 17
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Fibre Fault Guides

Very useful summary of FTTC DLM, except ...
There appears to be a change in how FTTC DLM works; it is temporarily turned off (probably leaving connection profiles in the state they happened to be in just before turn off).
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6726-assia-court-case-forces-openreach-to-turn-off-dlm.html
(I would have posted this as a comment on the 'How FTTC DLM works' page, but when I link to that page it goes there in a logged off state.  Maybe I'm not authorized to post on the Community Support Library, only on the Forum?)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think we'll hold off on updating these guides until we have more information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sjptd
Grafter

Fair enough, the current situation certainly seems somewhat confused. 
Also, I had somehow missed the thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134340.0.html so sorry for the extra posting.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem, as Chris has mentioned, we'd rather wait for further information on this before commenting and updating anything further.
Thanks for the heads up on the information though! Smiley
rachgain
Grafter

The links are not working today....
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Looks to be like the entire 'library' (http://community.plus.net/library/) is down.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Chris wrote:
I think we'll hold off on updating these guides until we have more information.

Is it time yet Chris?  Some bits need some tlc.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Pettitto & @Chris

Has PN received the updated information yet?

Specifically on time lines ... I see a number of PN support staff suggesting that FTTC has a 10 day stabilisation window.  My understanding (largely from reading @Pettitto's documents when first created) that there is no "10 day training" with FTTC - it is simply subject to a 2 day open profile.

Has this changed?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'll flag this up with my manager and make sure it's passed on to the appropriate people to look in to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
tiffy
Rising Star

Many thanks for the excellent guides which I will admit I have just got around to reading although a long term ADSL2+ customer with PN and a recent convert to fibre service.

Would it be possible at some stage to include a guide to G.Inp (retransmission) which is I believe is now fully rolled out to all Huawei FTTC cabinets, accepting that the issues with ECI FTTC cabinets is currently ongoing and resolution is still in the test phase.
I have found it very difficult to obtain any definitive information on the criteria for G.Inp implementation, a very grey area even amongst the very well informed on this or the kitz forums, a lot of contradictory theories but few facts available.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@kitz - any insight please?

tiffy
Rising Star

Is it my imagination or is there a reluctance by PN staff to comment or enter discussions on G.Inp (retransmission) questions or issues ?
See my post "G.Inp on Huawei FTTC Cabinet" dated 10/07/17 which has a similar (or lack of) response.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't think it's reluctance to answer, it is probable that nobody really knows the internal details of BT's DLM systems and how they work so they are unable to offer any discussion or answer your questions.Smiley

tiffy
Rising Star

Yes, you are probably correct, G.Inp (retransmission) application even on Huawei FTTC cabinets is certainly a very grey area.

Through the excellent guides on the kitz site I am beginning to get to grips with BT DLM operation, this post has provided additional information regarding line restoration process after a DLM intervention event.

I have suffered some considerable DS CRC, ES & SES rate increases this morning, very unusual for my line, my ILQ is heavily in the red now so expecting DLM intervention tomorrow morning, will be interesting to see if G.Inp will finally be enabled or just the much more likely action of applying DS interleaving ?