cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre (FTCC) Routers

Swiftnick1

Fibre (FTCC) Routers

Hi,
I am upgrading my broadband from Plusnet "normal" to Fibre on Friday. I have been sent a Plusnet router which is a Technicolor Tag582n. I tend to buy my own modem routers as I have thick walls and the supplied modem routers don't give a big enough signal. I currently have a TP Link TD-W8980 N600 wireless router with modem & it gives a good signal. I also use a TP Link  RE200 AC 750 Wifi range extender To give me a network cable into the TV (as the TV is not wireless) & also spread the signal a bit further. I have a few questions & hope someone can help me by answering.
Will my TP Link modem router be able to connect to the BT fibre modem instead of the Technicolor router?
If not, could the TP Link modem router be used as a repeater?
If necessary wiill my TP Link Wifi range extender work with the Technicolor router to extend the signal?
Can anyone recommend a good replacement router for the Technicolor that will spread a good signal?
My son is applying for jobs online so I need to get a good stable network up ASAP.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Nick
9 REPLIES 9
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Fibre (FTCC) Routers

This line in the description
ADSL, or Ethernet WAN, giving users the flexibility to access the Internet whichever method is most convenient.

Tells me you will be able to connect it to the BT modem, so the tp link is just used as a wireless router. It will need to be configured to do PPoE via one of the network ports.

See page 21 of the user guide - you set it to wireless router mode, and connect the modem to the Lan4/WAN port.
http://www.tplink.com/resources/document/TD-W8980_V1_User_Guide_1910010874.pdf
Swiftnick1

Tony, thanks for the quick reply, I have looked at the user manual that you put the link in for & will give it a go. I will set up the Technicolor first & see how how it performs, then set up the TP Link to router mode as described. I will have the Technicolor as a back up then if I get stuck.
Thanks again for the help.
Nick
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers Nick,
Keep us posted as to how you get on!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sparkz

I have a similar situation. Just upgraded to fibre but also had the same issue on my old TG582n. The only room in my house where I can get a wireless signal from is the bedroom immediately above the router. Doesn't like our brick walls at all!  Sad
I'd be interested to know if an alternate router like this will work with the BT fibre modem. The firewall looks better too, well easier to configure.
Mark
Swiftnick1

I had the FTTC installed yesterday & get a good speed, surprisingly the Technicolor router when paired with the TP Link range extender covered the whole house. Without the range extender about 1/2 to 2/3 of the house was covered we have a 24" solid wall throught the middle of the house up & down.
So I decided to try my existing TP Link modem router as well, I reconfigured it as Tony suggested for router only and set it to PPoE. It worked OK but the coverage was about the same as the Technicolour, when tried with and tried without the range extender.
To sum up, the routers worked about the same as far as speed & coverage went, which surprised me as the TP Link is twice the size and has three impressive looking ariels. What gave me the coverage was the TP Link range extender.
So I changed back to the Technicolour I thought it would be better for support and also it has a nice utility with it which may be useful.
I did notice my speed,dropped right back on both modems after all of the disconnecting, however this has returned to DL 20Mb/sec & UL 3.4Mb/sec wireless (iPad).
Thanks for your comments & help, I hope my summery is useful.
Nick
sparkz

Glad you got it working Nick. Thanks for the update.
Might stick with the Technicolour for the time being then. I am using Devolo kit to extend my range mostly the wired ones (500AV) at the moment which is ok but can't get more than half the 50Mb download I get at the router end. Not too sure TP Link wireless extenders would achieve that?
Mark
Swiftnick1

Mark,
I get 20Mb download from the router & on its wifi, but the TP link extender wifi only gives 8Mb. I'm stumbling through networking, but I imagine the extender looses speed in its own circuits picking up the signal & retransmitting it. I all seems a bit of a compromise, the 8Mb is enough for what we use it for in that area, just browsing, but would not be enough for more demanding needs.
Cheers Nick
dragon2611
Grafter

You'd be better off using an AC router with the range extender.
As the Range extender could connect back to the router on 802.11AC on the 5Ghz band (assuming strong enough signal, 5GHZ doesn't pass through walls.etc as well as 2.4ghz)
This would leave the 2.4Ghz radio free for serving clients and should yield much better results.

This is basically what I do with a pair of Bufferlo wireless routers/aps they're bridging together on 5ghz (AC-866) and serving Clients on 2.4ghz (130Mbit/20Mhz 802.11N)  I can connect clients to the 5Ghz if I wish but if I land on the AP that's bridging/repeating then it drags the performance down as a Radio can only either transmit or receive but not both at once.
Swiftnick1

Dragon2611, that does seem like a good solution, I didn't appreciate that the 2.4Ghz will penetrate the wall better.
Thanks Nick