cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra speed with low IP profile?

JenV

Fibre Extra speed with low IP profile?

I'm hoping someone more tech savvy than me can steer me in the right direction!

I recently did a BT wholesale speed test, and found that my line IP profile is 20Mbps.  My download speed is 21.6Mbps. My Plusnet contract for Fibre Extra shows an estimated speed of 31-47Mbps, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 27.3Mbps. Strangely, it also shows my current speed as 21.6Mbps.

I raised a fault report on the Plusnet website, querying this, and got a quick email reply on the 1 April at 9:14am, asking me to send BT wholesale results and update in ticket at link https://www.plus.net/wizard/.  I emailed them back at support@plus.net, to say that this link doesn't seem to connect me with any ticket I've raised.

At 11.11pm they emailed me back to say that as I couldn't supply the speed test information, they had closed the ticket. Well, thanks for that!

Some people may think that I'm getting the run-around, but you won't hear me say that!

I know IP throttling doesn't exist, but if I was a more suspicious person?

Any advice from someone with a bit of knowledge of these things would be gratefully received

6 REPLIES 6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Fibre Extra speed with low IP profile?

@JenV A low IP profile and also ‘current line speed’ would be a symptom of your sync speed being slow. 

Support@plus.net isn’t an email address you can email, it’s an address you’d get notifications from. Tickets stay open for 14 days before closing so I suspect you’ve accidentally closed the ticket online? Check the ticket by going here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

In any case try plugging your router into the test socket explained here https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 and if your speed’s still slow then it’s probably worth raising a new fault ticket at faults.plus.net

JenV

Thanks for your advice Thrall, I will retest as you suggest. Plusnet did close the fault request the same day though, and emailed me to say so as above. I'll report back soon!
JenV

Well I've retested from the test socket and BTwholesale test gives a line IP profile of 21.68Mbps and a download speed of 20.79Mbps. Upload quite acceptable I think at 6.08Mbps. I'll try raising another fault report and see what happens!
Thrall
Seasoned Pro

Plusnet can’t close fault tickets you raise due to system functionality. It could be possible you’ve accidentally closed the ticket online. If you use the above ticket link you’ll be able to see the closed ticket to check. 

JenV

Thanks again Thrall, looking at my first fault report it seems it didn't make it to the support team but was closed the same day as a service notice, so that mystery solved I think! This time it looks like I've got a proper fault request in motion!
Thrall
Seasoned Pro

The service notice could be what was triggered when the fault ticket closed. Check the tickets themselves...

Either way glad to see you’ve got a new one raised